Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Build tools

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think I built my first complete lower with a cheap set of pins and crappy RRA stock wrench. The only extra you really need for the upper is the barrel wrench, and I started out using the POS GI version until I broke it trying to remove a goddamn LMT barrel that to this day I swear was installed with red locktite.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels
    I have not decided if I am going or not.
    As time goes on, it's getting less and less likely.
    There's always next year in Vegas...
    I'll be there then bro. In Jan I'm just lucky to go since it's in the same time zone as us and the flight is only about 2hrs so I get to go again, I'm going as both a employee of VA Arms and as 'Press' for M4Carbine.net. Next year is my normal turn to go. Vegas rocks.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I can appreciate on building one's own tools and all, but just wondering if the complete Armorer's Tools for the AR-15/M4 platform from either Brownells or MidwayUSA are worth considering? Of course I'm seeing that the price can be $$$~+$$$$!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    I can appreciate on building one's own tools and all, but just wondering if the complete Armorer's Tools for the AR-15/M4 platform from either Brownells or MidwayUSA are worth considering? Of course I'm seeing that the price can be $$$~+$$$$!
    They are nice, but I think are kind of overkill unless you are maintaining a lot of rifles. I don't assemble A2 sights or remove forward assists, and I cross utilize alot of punches. I would pick and choose what I wanted from their list. But that's me.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm going through this at the moment. How I decided to save (some) money was:
    decide exactly what you want to build down to the last little screw, then buy only the tools you need to complete the job.
    Once you start small, add tools as you decide to build something new.

The brownells kit has lots of stuff you don't need in it. That kit is great if you are an armorer traveling to another country. You don't need to spend $20 on a hand guard removal tool if you are only taking off one set of hand guards (may hurt the fingers a little but you deal with it).
    I am not installing a front sight base so I have no need for the front sight jig (yet).
    I chose to do a DD low pro gas block with 12.0 rail over it (I'll be using troy sights).
    You get the my idea...
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62
    They are nice, but I think are kind of overkill unless you are maintaining a lot of rifles.. . .I cross utilize alot of punches. I would pick and choose what I wanted from their list.
    Yes indeed they're nice, but in my case not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L.
    How I decided to save (some) money was:
    decide exactly what you want to build
    . . ., then buy only the tools you need to complete the job.
    Once you start small, add tools as you decide to build something new.

The Brownells kit has lots of stuff you don't need in it. That kit is great if you are an armorer traveling to another country. You don't need to spend $20 on a hand guard removal tool if you are only taking off one set of hand guards (may hurt the fingers a little but you deal with it).

You get the my idea. . .
    Gotcha! That'll be something to spend close to $2000.00 and then find out I'm only using the punches?

Going to start off little by little and only what I need for my uses.

Thanks Guys!

Feedback Score
    Start with the basics, but buy the best of each tool.

DPMS Claw upper receiver block.
    DPMS or Smith barrel nut wrench.
    Starrett pin punches, drive punches and a center punch for staking.
    If you are doing a lot of lowers, you will want roll pin holders.
    Brownells ejector removal tool is good.
    1.4736" field reject geadspce gauge.
    Various small hardwood blocks make great bench blocks for supporting things while driving pins or staking.

There are lots of specialized barrel nut wrenches for specific brands you will add as you get tasked to install them.

Here are some of my tools (many changes since that picture was taken):

Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Personally there is a lot of fluff in there and I think you could do better. IIRC, the headspace gauges in there are for .223 barrels and not 5.56. Milspec Field headspace gauges are 1.4730 not 1.4736.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    Start with the basics, but buy the best of each tool.
    +1 I have to agree.

DPMS Claw upper receiver block.
    DPMS or Smith barrel nut wrench.
    Starrett pin punches, drive punches and a center punch for staking.
    If you are doing a lot of lowers, you will want roll pin holders.
    Brownells ejector removal tool is good.
    1.4736" field reject geadspce gauge.
    Various small hardwood blocks make great bench blocks for supporting things while driving pins or staking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    Personally there is a lot of fluff in there and I think you could do better. IIRC, the headspace gauges in there are for .223 barrels and not 5.56. Milspec Field headspace gauges are 1.4730 not 1.4736.
    Well, there it is, from those in the know. I would have never known about the "headspace gauge." Now I know.

There are lots of specialized barrel nut wrenches for specific brands you will add as you get tasked to install them.
    Looking at your tools in the photo posted has now made clear to me about the "barrel nut wrenches." I'm not an armorer, but seeing those different wrenches made me wonder, doesn't one do it all? I've learned that's not the case. Seems they're tailor specific.

Again, Thanks for the advice and recommendations!

Feedback Score
    Military uses a 1/4730 gauge.
    Colt uses the 1.4736" gauge.
    0.0006" won't matter either way.

More on headspace gauge dimensions here:
    www.ar15barrels.com/data/headspace.pdf
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast