Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: survival German shepard dogs

Feedback Score
    GS are one of the smartest breed there is they are very obedient and easy to train. when i was a boy my dad had one. but IMHO they are not as aggressive when shtf.

Feedback Score
    I just put down my Annike last year. 75# of loyal and capable canine fury. Getting a GSD isn't for the timid. You have to have time for them, and I'm not talking about a 20 minute daily walk. This breed thrives if you literally embed them into your life, something that's hard for a guy who pulls a 9-5 in a cube somewhere. If you can't devote the time I'd suggest abandoning the plan for GSD and look into a Labradoodle or something.
    The guy who suggested a Belgian Mal based upon observing some well trained dogs might not realize that he was observing some well trained dogs. They are even higher energy than a GSD, and frankly, if you haven't owned and trained a GSD you aren't up to a Belgian Mal.
    Something to consider beyond the expense of buying the dog and getting it professionally trained, is the cost of food. It was like having an adult child in the house who raids the fridge but doesn't pay rent. If you're incorporating this dog into a disaster plan understand that you'll have to increase your food stock to account for the equivalent of another grown adult human.
    Fantastic dogs. They'll teach you the definition of loyal...but not for the timid or the inactive. You'll get what you give.

Feedback Score
    I have a couple of Dutch Shepherds and a Malinois. Out of the two Belgium/Dutch breeds, I prefer the Dutch Shepherd because it is a little less hyper. The Mal's are great dogs and honestly- the differences between a Mal, Dutch, and a German are mostly size. A working lines German Shepherd can be just as much of a handful as a Dutch Shepherd or Mal- it all depends on the dog. However if I had to choose, I'd take the Dutch Shepherd. Either way, it's a great learning experience.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bltzkrg View Post
    The guy who suggested a Belgian Mal based upon observing some well trained dogs might not realize that he was observing some well trained dogs. They are even higher energy than a GSD, and frankly, if you haven't owned and trained a GSD you aren't up to a Belgian Mal.
    That was me, and yes I knew they were highly trained, as I discussed them with their handlers the entire flight. But, I get your point, and I have never owned the breed, so have no personal experience with them. If the issue is just high energy, there are ways to deal with that. I've owned and trained German Shorthaired Pointers for years, and yes they are a very different dog. VERY high energy, but not aggressive. You deal with them by giving them a lot of outdoor exercise daily. I do that twice per day, but I have the land to accommodate them. I would think this would work with the Belgian Mal, but again, I have no personal experience with them,

All that being said, the Dutch Shepherd seems like a good alternative from what the other poster said. I have also known several mutts that were great dogs.

Feedback Score
    i will strongly recommend Belgian Malinois, they are very smart, easy to train and thats why they are use by police and the military,

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't fall into the belief that a sport trained dog (SchH, IPO) will protect you. Most of the sport dogs will not take live bites on a person who's not wearing a bite sleeve. I have a 3 year old male GSD from Czech border patrol (Pohranicni Straze) bloodlines and he is a very serious dog. Very different from the show line GSD, most of which are fat, fluffy dogs with nice black/red coats that are bred for the show ring and not for actual work.

As for GSD's vs Mals/Dutchies, I still prefer the GSD because they are more balanced overall and have a stronger nerve base. The Mals overcome their thin nerves with their over the top prey drive. A high strung Malinois often times doesn't have an 'off' switch and they don't make the best pets. I would suggest visiting some kennels and see how the dogs are before making a decision. At the end of the day, pedigrees, pink papers and titles aren't worth a damn if the dog can't work.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If you are thinking about getting a GSD and think you can give it the life they deserve then all I can say is do it.

I spent all night with mine in the emergency vet and it's not looking good, but I can honestly say she is the best friend I've ever had.

She wasn't a super expensive purpose bred dog but her protective instincts to patrol and warn me of things were all I could have asked for.

My heart is completely broken right now, but I wouldn't trade a day with her for anything.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    If you are thinking about getting a GSD and think you can give it the life they deserve then all I can say is do it.

I spent all night with mine in the emergency vet and it's not looking good, but I can honestly say she is the best friend I've ever had.

She wasn't a super expensive purpose bred dog but her protective instincts to patrol and warn me of things were all I could have asked for.

My heart is completely broken right now, but I wouldn't trade a day with her for anything.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Sorry to hear that

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry things aren't going good for you and your pal.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    When I think "survival dog", I dont think a dog that necessarily attacks or that has the temperament to attack others. I would rather have an early warning to allow myself to deal logically with whatever situation or threat presents itself, rather than having to clean up after a dog that has mauled someone. Also, a dog is another mouth to feed. If you are looking for a dog as a survival tool or prep, something that goes through 30 lbs of dry food every month isn't going to be high on the list. I would also look for an older breed, something that can be self sufficient, that hasn't been bred for specific traits, and isn't prone to disease. Carolina dogs, Basenjis, and Canaan dogs would be at the top of my list for a true SHTF dog.

Complimentary pic of my pair of 75 lb cupcakes...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast