Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reason to get a 30-06 over a 308

Feedback Score

Reason to get a 30-06 over a 308

Hello all,

I don't want to start a religious war, but I have a question.

I'm looking to buy a T/C Compass for SHTF hunting and I'm trying to decide between 30-06 and 308. I already have an AR-10 so I'd be able to share the ammo. But, I hear that 30-06 is slightly more powerful. My basic question is if there is anything that I'd be able to take with the 30-06 that I couldn't take with the 308 or any other advantage that would override the ability to share ammo between my rifles.

Thanks

JRC

Feedback Score
    i dont think there is enough difference.

the only exception being there may be different factory loads for the 30-06, that arent in the .308
    and vice versa

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    There is really not that much practical difference between the two...Maybe a slight edge to the aught-six, but nothing that would make it worth stocking another caliber, IMO. I'd just stick with 308. It'll deal with looters, zombies, aliens, UN soldiers, deer, and whatever else you'll bump into "SHTF" with no worries.

Your AR10 will do all these things as well...

Feedback Score
    if you really wanted to keep in in the family, there are bolt actions that take ar10 mag's
    like the mossberg mvp

Feedback Score
    The .30-06 has had better ammo availability of late during the panics and it handles heavier bullets better. In my opinion these are the only advantages.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you study a little bit about National Match High Power shooting you'll find that .308 tends to be slightly more accurate than .30-06, which is part of the reason why the Navy converted its M1 Garands to .308.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    What are you hunting?
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    you buy a 30.06 for a couple reason. Primary being because you want one. A second reason, you want or need to shoot 200 and 220 grain bullets. Or have a over 1000 yard need and don't want to shoot a magnum. some additional reasons, there is nothing walking the americas that you would not be well armed to face...4 legs or 2. even brown bear...while you may not want to wake up on morning and say "hark, I shall hunt the grizzly with my 30.06"...if you happen to be out and about in grizzly territory you would have a fighting chance to save your self if need be. From all reports if you choose to go hunt in Africa, most game over there can be taken with 30.06. Exceptions do exists of course like buffalo.

30.06 can be more accurate than often given credit and when you are talking hunting or self defense it has more accuracy than you need.

you go with 308 because you can get a more compact rifle, which could mean lighter, handier etc. and until you start talking 200 and 220 grain, the differences are going to be generally academic. as long as you are needing the top end 200+ bullets, the 308 can do what the 30.06 can do.

but bottom line.... you buy the one you think you will enjoy the most.
    Last edited by 1859sharps; 05-19-17 at 03:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think you'll see a big difference unless, like others said, you want heavier bullets or shooting 1000 yards.

I have an old Ruger M77 in 30.06. Bought it as a general purpose rifle. At the time I happened to stumble into it at a very good price and it was the only left handed rifle available without having to order one. Accurate rifle, shoots good. I would be just as happy with 308

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    A 30.06 would give me confidence that there's nothing that walks the planet that I couldn't put down with one decently placed shot. Lots of varieties of this ammo, plus, you can still buy surplus armor piercing rounds if you needed to to take out a vehicle's engine block, you could do it.

And, it helped win WWI and WWII. It's uniquely American. Take a look at the ammo shelves ... lots of rows of flavors of this round, will never go away.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast