Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reason to get a 30-06 over a 308

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    If you study a little bit about National Match High Power shooting you'll find that .308 tends to be slightly more accurate than .30-06, which is part of the reason why the Navy converted its M1 Garands to .308.
    And all these times I was under the impression that the Navy went why we have all these M-1 that are in great condition. Let's just buy 7.62 barrels instead of M-14's. That's kinda what I was told by people in the know from Craine.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by agr1279 View Post
    And all these times I was under the impression that the Navy went why we have all these M-1 that are in great condition. Let's just buy 7.62 barrels instead of M-14's. That's kinda what I was told by people in the know from Craine.

Dan
    Notice I did say part of the reason, not the only reason.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You can walk into any gunstore that has ammunition, chances are there is some 06 on the shelf.

Feedback Score
    I own two .30-06 rifles. Best all around bolt action caliber there is. Lot of arguments for 7mm or .300 win mag but whatever- I'll keep my 06's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I remember reading an article from the Alaska Game and Fish department saying that the 30-06 was a great bear defense round. With the 220 grain bullet it had more than sufficient penetration for a charging brown bear but had far less recoil than a 300 Win Mag. I think they make a 250 grain round now too.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post
    you buy a 30.06 for a couple reason. Primary being because you want one. A second reason, you want or need to shoot 200 and 220 grain bullets. Or have a over 1000 yard need and don't want to shoot a magnum. some additional reasons, there is nothing walking the americas that you would not be well armed to face...4 legs or 2. even brown bear...while you may not want to wake up on morning and say "hark, I shall hunt the grizzly with my 30.06"...if you happen to be out and about in grizzly territory you would have a fighting chance to save your self if need be. From all reports if you choose to go hunt in Africa, most game over there can be taken with 30.06. Exceptions do exists of course like buffalo.

30.06 can be more accurate than often given credit and when you are talking hunting or self defense it has more accuracy than you need.

you go with 308 because you can get a more compact rifle, which could mean lighter, handier etc. and until you start talking 200 and 220 grain, the differences are going to be generally academic. as long as you are needing the top end 200+ bullets, the 308 can do what the 30.06 can do.

but bottom line.... you buy the one you think you will enjoy the most.

I see this constantly.

It is one of those "Internet Truths" Erroneous information that gets repeated over and over so often that people take at face value as actual fact.

.308 and .30-06 are the same diameter/caliber. You can load the same projectile.

In layman's terms the 30-06 is simply longer.

The .308 is 2.015"
    The 30-06 is 2. 494"

for a difference of .479"s

In that .479" you can add more powder, which translates into more velocity, but as many accomplished reloaders know, there is a point of diminishing returns with larger capacity cases.

People assume and continually repeat on the internet that the .308 cannot shoot 200 or 220 grain projectiles. That is simply not even remotely true.

Here are a couple of groups using 220 grain Sierra Match Kings, loaded to feed through a magazine. They load, feed and shoot just fine, and due to the high ballistic coefficient of the projectile, they do great at extended ranges.

The 30-06 in factory offerings is rather anemic, as compared to what can be accomplished by handloading. The vast majority of younger handloaders have overlooked the 30-06 as an "outdated" cartridge, which is a shortcoming on their part. When combined with the newer higher BC VLD type projectiles and modern propellants, the 30-06 is actually a rather excellent long range cartridge that punches above its weight class.

Really a person cannot go wrong with either cartridge, but if you want to maximize the potential of the 30-06, you will need to handload.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I see this constantly.

It is one of those "Internet Truths" Erroneous information that gets repeated over and over so often that people take at face value as actual fact.

.308 and .30-06 are the same diameter/caliber. You can load the same projectile.

In layman's terms the 30-06 is simply longer.

The .308 is 2.015"
    The 30-06 is 2. 494"

for a difference of .479"s

In that .479" you can add more powder, which translates into more velocity, but as many accomplished reloaders know, there is a point of diminishing returns with larger capacity cases.

People assume and continually repeat on the internet that the .308 cannot shoot 200 or 220 grain projectiles. That is simply not even remotely true.

Here are a couple of groups using 220 grain Sierra Match Kings, loaded to feed through a magazine. They load, feed and shoot just fine, and due to the high ballistic coefficient of the projectile, they do great at extended ranges.

The 30-06 in factory offerings is rather anemic, as compared to what can be accomplished by handloading. The vast majority of younger handloaders have overlooked the 30-06 as an "outdated" cartridge, which is a shortcoming on their part. When combined with the newer higher BC VLD type projectiles and modern propellants, the 30-06 is actually a rather excellent long range cartridge that punches above its weight class.

Really a person cannot go wrong with either cartridge, but if you want to maximize the potential of the 30-06, you will need to handload.
    I dont think they were saying that the 308 cant use the 200 and 220 grain bullets. What they were saying was that under 200 grains the difference between 308 and 30-06 was fairly minimal but once you used 200 and 220 grain bullets the difference was more noticeable.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12