Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality Commercial 5.45x39 Ammo?

Feedback Score
    Well late to the party again.

I have ran tons of Silver Bear, 100%.

Stay away from Red Army, that stuff is crap. Finially made it through 2 mags, at best had 50% failure rate, probably more like 60.
    Very large dents on the primers, no fire. Still have a few hundred rounds that I am just going to throw away, it is that much of a pain to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Well late to the party again.

I have ran tons of Silver Bear, 100%.

Stay away from Red Army, that stuff is crap. Finially made it through 2 mags, at best had 50% failure rate, probably more like 60.
    Very large dents on the primers, no fire. Still have a few hundred rounds that I am just going to throw away, it is that much of a pain to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Strange.

I've run several hundred rounds of Cabela's purchased Red Army through my Nodak/Bulgy/Century build. Every round went bang, every round fed and every round ejected, even out of my Tapco mags I was sure to give me trouble.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Old post I know, but I thought that I'd provide an update. The new Red Army Standard 5.45x39 that Century is importing is now made in the Russian Vympel factory. Previous Red Army Standard 5.45x39 was made elsewhere. It's as good as it gets when it comes to 5.45x39 and is the same as Golden Tiger.
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/red-a...45x39mm-59-gra
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/golde...orrosive-new-p

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I was happy with Red Army Standard 69gr when it was readily available. No stoppages in a Saiga 74 conversion, and shot close ‘nuff to POA. I did not do any velocity or dispersion testing. I still have some in my orphaned cartridge collection.

Despite internet lore, this is not tracer jackets. I pulled down some 7n6 and some 69gr. I found them indistinguishable to the eye or caliper in any way. Identical form factor. One is heavier, and the other has less lead/more steel. Similarly, a SS109 form factor makes a ~ 69 gr projectile with all lead in the core.

Its sad that 5.45 seems to be dying here. Its the only AK caliber that doesn’t suck.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Same. I have a few thousand left but I’m trying not to shoot it as much

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I was happy with Red Army Standard 69gr when it was readily available. No stoppages in a Saiga 74 conversion, and shot close ‘nuff to POA. I did not do any velocity or dispersion testing. I still have some in my orphaned cartridge collection.

Despite internet lore, this is not tracer jackets. I pulled down some 7n6 and some 69gr. I found them indistinguishable to the eye or caliper in any way. Identical form factor. One is heavier, and the other has less lead/more steel. Similarly, a SS109 form factor makes a ~ 69 gr projectile with all lead in the core.

Its sad that 5.45 seems to be dying here. Its the only AK caliber that doesn’t suck.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12