Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a .458 SOCOM AR

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Building a .458 SOCOM AR

I recently started a different thread asking for input for my next build. I had been bitten by the build bug and bought a BCM lower from a local guy but I couldn't decide what upper I wanted to put on it. One of the suggestions was .458 SOCOM. I had heard of it before but never payed much attention to it. But for some reason on that day it really took hold and I set off researching.

Due to the close part compatibility with a 5.56 AR I decided that's what I would build. I then came to the conclusion that TROMIX (www.tromix.com) was the way to go for parts since its owner, Tony Rumore, built and fired the first .458 SOCOM rifle back in 2001. Yes, Wilson Combat and others make the parts now too, but I figured the original was still the best.

I called their shop on Tuesday afternoon and placed my order with Jeff (they don't do web orders). I ordered an upper receiver with an enlarged ejection port to accommodate the larger shell and engraved with TROMIX .458 SOCOM, a 16.25" barrel, bolt, gas block, gas tube, flash hider and crush washer for a total of $535 shipped. Much to my surprise, Jeff said they still had time to get it shipped out that same day!

USPS Priority Mail from Oklahoma to Kentucky- my ordered arrived today! I'm pretty stoked to start putting it all together very soon. Here's a few pics I took quickly.

Last edited by officerX; 05-19-17 at 15:05.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Interested to see how it does. I would like to do a big bore AR eventually, but haven't decided on a calibre yet. I have read that .450BM has better access to bullets because it uses pistol caliber bullets.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Building a .458 SOCOM AR

Very cool and that's pretty fast shipping! . So what's the plan? Purpose-wise? Just doing a fun project build or is it filling a gap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Tromix is the best option for a .458 SOCOM build.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Tromix is the best option for a .458 SOCOM build.
    Agreed! I had one for a bit and it was flawless. Really regret selling it and may pick up another.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Very cool and that's pretty fast shipping! . So what's the plan? Purpose-wise? Just doing a fun project build or is it filling a gap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It doesn't have a set purpose yet, other than to make me happy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Neat, I went the easy route and purchased complete upper from Wilson Combat.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Feedback Score
    Looks like you're well on your way. Is that a round you need to form & reload on your own, or can you get commercial ammo for it without too much look seeing?
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Looks like you're well on your way. Is that a round you need to form & reload on your own, or can you get commercial ammo for it without too much look seeing?
    None of the local LGS carry it but there's plenty available online - Freedom Munitions has some, there's a Black Butterfly brand. The cheapest I've seen was around $1.58/round, then add shipping, but it can go up to $3.50/round or so.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    I ordered an upper receiver with an enlarged ejection port to accommodate the larger shell and engraved with TROMIX .458 SOCOM, a 16.25" barrel, gas block, gas tube, flash hider and crush washer for a total of $535 shipped.
    No bolt?

I'll be watching this thread as I plan to build a .458 SOCOM as well.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast