Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Building a .458 SOCOM AR

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I finally got to shoot this build today. I wasn't in a place where I could sight the MRO in, I'll have to get to a range and use my bore sight for that, this was just a function check.

I had to use the forward assist to get the first round fully chambered but the rifle did the other 9 just fine by itself. How 'bout that recoil?! It felt like a 12ga hitting my shoulder!

The ejection pattern was all over the place - from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock. Not sure what that's all about.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Ya know I have not found ejection patterns to be a consistent, reliable diagnostic tool. I know others do, there’s even a “ejection pattern sundial” for lack of a better term, but in my own experience, in test firing all of my builds, I have not found much of any value in it. If it doesn’t eject, then that’s something I deal with. If it’s ejecting, I call that a win.

But as I said, that’s just me.

Sounds like you have a real hog slayer!
    That is some wicked looking ammo though!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Congrats on gettting it up and running. I simply love the cartridge, don’t care much for the price though.
    Reloading is a must
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Congrats on gettting it up and running. I simply love the cartridge, don’t care much for the price though.
    Reloading is a must
    Yeah, the price of ammo is a bitch! Reloading isn't an option right now so just not shooting much of it. I hope to be able to in the future though.

Feedback Score
    I've got a few thousand rounds through a Tromix 10.5 in barrel, since 2016. Usually shoot 40-80 rds per week through it. You did good going with Tromix, he uses the correct licensed reamer, Wilson does not. Tony will quickly respond to any questions or problems you have. He is a regular on the 458 Socom forum. He stands behind all his stuff.

It's a really fun round, one of my favorites. Do yourself a favor and get the recoil absorbing stock from GFI. I shoot mostly 1200 fps loads since I shoot it so much, it's a real tiger with the 1800-200 Fps loads. If you don't reload, you will want to if you want to shoot it much. Extreme makes some plated 300 gr bullets that work great for plinking. The best buy in jacketed rounds in the Hornady 300 JHP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by batman4706 View Post
    I've got a few thousand rounds through a Tromix 10.5 in barrel, since 2016. Usually shoot 40-80 rds per week through it. You did good going with Tromix, he uses the correct licensed reamer, Wilson does not. Tony will quickly respond to any questions or problems you have. He is a regular on the 458 Socom forum. He stands behind all his stuff.

It's a really fun round, one of my favorites. Do yourself a favor and get the recoil absorbing stock from GFI. I shoot mostly 1200 fps loads since I shoot it so much, it's a real tiger with the 1800-200 Fps loads. If you don't reload, you will want to if you want to shoot it much. Extreme makes some plated 300 gr bullets that work great for plinking. The best buy in jacketed rounds in the Hornady 300 JHP.
    Cost of the round has always put me off, but I do want one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    those even look scary
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LockenLoad View Post
    those even look scary
    I’m too ashamed to tell you how much I paid for them but when I saw them, I just had to have them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by batman4706 View Post

Batman,
    I tried to PM you but can’t figure it out on my phone app for this forum.
    What powder and weight are you running for the Hornady 300 gr #4500 bullets.
    I’ve been using H110

I have a tromix upper with a MRO and it is very accurate. I’ve talked called Tromix twice and both times Tony answered and was more than helpful and answered all my questions. Nothing but positive things to say about him and his company.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast