Thread: Building a .458 SOCOM AR

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Building a .458 SOCOM AR

I recently started a different thread asking for input for my next build. I had been bitten by the build bug and bought a BCM lower from a local guy but I couldn't decide what upper I wanted to put on it. One of the suggestions was .458 SOCOM. I had heard of it before but never payed much attention to it. But for some reason on that day it really took hold and I set off researching.

Due to the close part compatibility with a 5.56 AR I decided that's what I would build. I then came to the conclusion that TROMIX (www.tromix.com) was the way to go for parts since its owner, Tony Rumore, built and fired the first .458 SOCOM rifle back in 2001. Yes, Wilson Combat and others make the parts now too, but I figured the original was still the best.

I called their shop on Tuesday afternoon and placed my order with Jeff (they don't do web orders). I ordered an upper receiver with an enlarged ejection port to accommodate the larger shell and engraved with TROMIX .458 SOCOM, a 16.25" barrel, bolt, gas block, gas tube, flash hider and crush washer for a total of $535 shipped. Much to my surprise, Jeff said they still had time to get it shipped out that same day!

USPS Priority Mail from Oklahoma to Kentucky- my ordered arrived today! I'm pretty stoked to start putting it all together very soon. Here's a few pics I took quickly.

Last edited by officerX; 05-19-17 at 15:05.