Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Building a .458 SOCOM AR

Feedback Score
    Nice job OfficerX! It is looking great. I have a .458 SOCOM, built with a Radical Arms upper. It is a beast. It lets you know you just shot a rifle, lol. I'm having magazine feed issues, like a lot of people. Youtube is a great resource for showing you the mods needed to make a reliable weapon.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryall4 View Post
    Nice job OfficerX! It is looking great. I have a .458 SOCOM, built with a Radical Arms upper. It is a beast. It lets you know you just shot a rifle, lol. I'm having magazine feed issues, like a lot of people. Youtube is a great resource for showing you the mods needed to make a reliable weapon.
    Are your issues with the mags or does the upper need to be "blended"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    Are your issues with the mags or does the upper need to be "blended"?
    To be honest, it could be either and most likely both. I could get two cartridges out of one mag into the chamber and downrange and the third would hang up on it's way into the chamber. The other mag I tried... definitely a magazine feed issue. As a note, these were unmodified 5.56 GI mags. I have since read that the followers need to be modified (flat) and the feed lips altered.

I'm glad I saw your post, it will light a fire and get me back to work on it. She's just been wasting away in the gun safe

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Building a .458 SOCOM AR

Quote Originally Posted by Fryall4 View Post
    To be honest, it could be either and most likely both. I could get two cartridges out of one mag into the chamber and downrange and the third would hang up on it's way into the chamber. The other mag I tried... definitely a magazine feed issue. As a note, these were unmodified 5.56 GI mags. I have since read that the followers need to be modified (flat) and the feed lips altered.

I'm glad I saw your post, it will light a fire and get me back to work on it. She's just been wasting away in the gun safe
    Great!

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I need a little push once in a while, lol.

I'll keep watching this thread for your progress and update with any new info.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Take a look on 458 SOCOM Forum, tons of information
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Had to post to keep the thread alive... Bump!

Someone asked, early on, about ammo. Yes, it's expensive, but if you reload, you can cut the retail by a 3rd. (And that's for the first load of new brass.) Starline sells 458socom at reasonable prices. To top it off, (I've heard, haven't fired enough to know) the brass rarely needs to be trimmed, as it is a low pressure round.

+1 for the 458socomforum mentioned by hk_shootr

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    NRA Life

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I'll be taking the build out for the first time next weekend. I'll report back with my impressions.

Feedback Score
    I'll be interested to hear your report. What ammo are you going to use, commercial or handloads?

I have a complete upper from Tromix and have found the chamber to be very tight. With Blackbutterly frangible, got several that would not chamber... Don't force it, if this happens... they're a PITA to extract.

My own handloads with new Starline brass worked perfectly, after bumping the shoulders back .002"

Good luck and have fun!

NRA Life

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cswpsi View Post
    I'll be interested to hear your report. What ammo are you going to use, commercial or handloads?

I have a complete upper from Tromix and have found the chamber to be very tight. With Blackbutterly frangible, got several that would not chamber... Don't force it, if this happens... they're a PITA to extract.

My own handloads with new Starline brass worked perfectly, after bumping the shoulders back .002"

Good luck and have fun!

I bought ammo from Freedom Munitions. It was about $1.60/round. I won't be able to reload any time soon (time, space, start up cost) so I'm stuck buying it. I've tried to cycle a few rounds - some chambered ok, some didn't. I haven't "blended" the upper yet so I think I'm going to have to do it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast