Thread: Gilboa M43 smart choice?

Feedback Score

Gilboa M43 smart choice?

I have been shooting aks since I began shooting about 15 years ago. I initially learned carbines on an AR but chose to invest in AKs for all the usual reasons.

I now want to re-learn the AR platform and was looking to invest about 1500 in a standard AR rifle. But now am looking at the Gilboa M43.

Cost wise, it will be a wash or in my favor given all my mags and ammo. Ballistic wise, i don't shoot beyond 200 yards and won't hunt hogs with 5.56 so I don't see a huge issue for me personally. The main loss/difference I see is the magazine operation.

My main concern is maintenance and parts. Is the novelty aspect of the rifle going to be an issue for a non-expert? I am not knowledgeable enough to really trouble shoot the gun. Are the guts of the gun similar enough to a standard AR that my local gunsmith/AR experts will be able to help me down the road?

Thank you for any information.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have no experience with the Gilboa, but own, shoot and enjoy AK's in both 7.62 and 5.45. IF I was going to go for a 7.62, AK mag, AR-15 I'd probably look at a CMMG Mutant.

The Mutant is sort of "uparmored" for the 7.62x39 cartridge. I've had the opportunity to fire one magazine thru a Mutant and liked it, but I'm not really interested in a 7.62x39 AR, so I've never really done a bunch of research.

A quick search suggests the Gilboa is manufactured under icense here in the USA so parts and service shouldn't be subject to the whims of importers or government import restrictions.

http://www.mckay-ent.com/gilboa-m43-rifle.html

I found a YT video on the Gilboa that may be of interest...

Last edited by BBossman; 05-19-17 at 08:50.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    I think it's a stupid concept actually. It's not an AK and it's not an AR. Just get an AR in .300 whatever. Then when the coolness factor wears off or you are done trolling about the virtues of .300 whatever- you can quietly get rid of the barrel and bolt with no one the wiser.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input.