Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Dot 230 grain Hollow point

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Gold Dot 230 grain Hollow point

I just bought 500 rounds of this ammo. I know there is better out there, but I like to run the ammo through my guns Im going to use for SD / HD. And it sucks to pay $1.00 round at the range. And all my 45 SD ammo has been in and out of multiple guns and just needs to be blasted out and start fresh again. I have different hollow points mixed in the same mag and shit and the cluster took its toll on my conscience.

My gut tells me I wouldn't want to be shot by shit ball ammo, so I think decent HP is probably sufficient but….

My question, would you be comfortable using this ammo for SD?

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 05-03-17 at 15:34.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the only thing debateably better would have been HST 230+Ps.

I tote a .45 despite ot not being "pistolly correct" to do so and I live that 200gr +P GDHP "flying ashtray" life.

I dont think you are at a deficit but thats just my opinion

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I think the only thing debateably better would have been HST 230+Ps.

I tote a .45 despite ot not being "pistolly correct" to do so and I live that 200gr +P GDHP "flying ashtray" life.

I dont think you are at a deficit but thats just my opinion

"Flying ashtray". I dig it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    It's on Doc's list, so yes, I would be confident. I would not hesitate to use it, at all.

Feedback Score
    My go-to hollow points are Speer Gold Dots, Federal HSTs, and Winchester PDX-1 / Rangers. Whatever I can find.

There's no reason to believe that your gold dots aren't good enough. I don't think that anyone shot in the A-zone will ask you if the round was a Speer Gold Dot, and finding so, decide to continue to fight because it was the wrong brand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    "Flying ashtray". I dig it.

PB
    Digging around in my reloading stash, I found a box of 100 Speer 200gr hp's, The old flying ashtray.I'd bought these years ago and forgot I had them...one thing they're useful for is testing to see if your pistol will feed hp's, if it'll feed these, it'll feed anything.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    WOW!

Talk about flash back flying ash tray. I will admit that it was my round back in the day before I was forced to carry 9mm and then found out all handgun rounds work or suck depending on the alignment of the stars that day.

Feedback Score
    The 230 grain Speer GDHP is a good performing round and on "the list" that can be found on other forums.

Of note, the 200 grain +P GDHP is not on Dr. Roberts' list, and discussion around it several years ago indicated poor terminal performance due to a tendency to plug and not expand. I have the link for those discussions and can PM it to those who are interested. I also recall Dr. Roberts posting that +P rounds in 45 ACP in general offer little in additional terminal performance to offset the increased recoil and wear.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-03-17 at 17:16.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The 230 grain Speer GDHP is a good performing round and on "the list" that can be found on other forums.

Of note, the 200 grain +P GDHP is not on Dr. Roberts' list, and discussion around it several years ago indicated poor terminal performance due to a tendency to plug and not expand. I have the link for those discussions and can PM it to those who are interested. I also recall Dr. Roberts posting that +P rounds in 45 ACP in general offer little in additional terminal performance to offset the increased recoil and wear.
    Ive never heard of Doc. Love to get a link.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Ive never heard of Doc. Love to get a link.
    He used to be a member here but left. One of the top ballistics experts I think. He's definitely on primary and secondary, I don't know where else. Their 9 is supposed to be some of the best there is I believe. That and HST seem to be like Honda vs Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast