Semi auto- piston
    FA- piston
    Range toy- piston
    Duty- piston
    Bum****ery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This. Aside from the M27 at the Corps and 416 over at SOCOM/JSOC I highly doubt it. Hell, H&Ks early selling point was 'you can just buy the upper and put it on your existing lower' and God only knows how many M16Ax, M4 and M4A1s are in the DOD system. I know in a recent study (by SOCOM I believe) they were looking to see if the benefits were worth it. There's also a study to see if they want to potentially move to midlength gas systems vs carbine for the M4A1+ or whatever they're calling it. Other studies are researching suppressors, ammo selection (MK262, MK318, M855A1 etc).
    Regardless, the cost alone would probably prevent a complete switch unless something miraculous comes around.

On the other hand, the M9 is aging and was due for a replacement. It's not a knock against them, they've *mostly* held up extremely well in the past 30+ years but seeing one that shines from the finish wearing off is more common than not these days and many are rapidly approaching their end of life. For the cost of a replacement unit it makes sense that they decided to look at what is new and better since the adoption of the M9, most of which are likely cheaper. Not saying the 320 was necessarily the best choice, but the modular nature could work out for multiple roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Definitely not. The Marine infantry is CONSIDERING issuing M27 IARs to everyone. But that's it.

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    Except nobody says that.

On HK pro, they say 'How do I get my 10.5 inch HK to run suppressed?'...then have 5 different gas blocks over the years to try and get them to run with/without suppressors.
    HK has the A5 versions with adjustable gas blocks. As far as HK Pro, most have an MR556 with 16" barrel cut down to a 10.4" and try to run a 14.5"/16" gas block. HK made a variety of gas blocks, the vented 16"/14.5", the vented 10.4" , the non-vented 10.4", and now the adjustable on the 416A5. The guns run like a champ from HK. It is truly when people reconfigure them they aren't as reliable. I cannot vouche for most other piston guns. I owned a Sig 516 gen 2 and it was workhorse. I currently own a complete HK MR556 and a 416 upper. Both are what you expect from HK, boringly reliable. I don't see the military buying HK rifles, but I think the M4 is going to be replaced in the next decade or so.
    Last edited by CharlieDeltaJuliet; 05-22-17 at 16:58.
    Owner of Carolina Laser Works
    https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    Except nobody says that.

On HK pro, they say 'How do I get my 10.5 inch HK to run suppressed?'...then have 5 different gas blocks over the years to try and get them to run with/without suppressors.
    With all due respect, your statement is a bit misleading. To add to CDJ's post, the real deal 416's don't have the issues you're referencing from HKPRO. I can't speak for the MR556 frankenguns some people try to build, but the select fire guns are a different story. My first hand exposure with 10.4" guns and SF cans has led me to conclude that aside from being a bit on the gassy side, they are very reliable with / without a can. The A5 variants are supposed to further address that. You run into issues when folks try to cut down a barrel with a certain sized gas port and expect a gas block intended for another barrel length / port size to work.

Do I think the next service rifle to replace the M4 in any branch will be the 416 / M27? No. Do I think the next service rifle will be a direct impingement gun? Also no.

Tspeis
    Last edited by Tspeis; 05-22-17 at 14:52.

Feedback Score
    I wish HK would release one with a chrome lined barrel in upper or rifle form.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by F22raptor View Post

You and me both!
    Owner of Carolina Laser Works
    https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by F22raptor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDeltaJuliet View Post
    You and me both!
    That makes 3 of us just in these last few posts. I really, really want an HK 416 SBR.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    A 11.5 hk 416 upper... yes please

Chrome lined yes please

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tspeis View Post
    With all due respect, your statement is a bit misleading. To add to CDJ's post, the real deal 416's don't have the issues you're referencing from HKPRO. I can't speak for the MR556 frankenguns some people try to build, but the select fire guns are a different story. My first hand exposure with 10.4" guns and SF cans has led me to conclude that aside from being a bit on the gassy side, they are very reliable with / without a can. The A5 variants are supposed to further address that. You run into issues when folks try to cut down a barrel with a certain sized gas port and expect a gas block intended for another barrel length / port size to work.

Do I think the next service rifle to replace the M4 in any branch will be the 416 / M27? No. Do I think the next service rifle will be a direct impingement gun? Also no.

Tspeis
    Which is precisely why my 16" MR barrels are still 16".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast