Thread: Back in the day: Bolt action battle rifles

Feedback Score

Back in the day: Bolt action battle rifles

I was cleaning this old SMLE No 1 Mk 3 today, and recalling that old saying regarding World War I rifles: "The Americans had the best target rifle, the Germans had the best hunting rifle, and the British had the best combat rifle". I'm sure that's open for debate, but this old SMLE just feels "right". This particular example was manufactured in 1911 at RSAF Enfield and FTR'd ("Factory Thorough Repair") in 1953. During overhaul, a buttstock and cocking piece from a No 4 rifle was added. All furniture was beech instead of the original walnut.

Any other Lee Enfield fanciers hereabouts?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was admiring a Krag 30-40 at a local gun shop yesterday and a man in his late 80's struck up a conversation with me about WWI rifles. He made the same comparison of American, German and British rifles.

I see British Enfields at a vintage rifle match I shoot at monthly. They are a piece of history I haven't invested in yet.......yet.

You have a sharp looking rifle.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    C&Rsenal did a video series on the Lee Enfields that's pretty great. I really love old battle rifles and I know what you mean about them just feeling "right".

Feedback Score
    I don't have an Enfield, but I'm into old military bolt guns in general. I have a yugo M48 that I just love. I just bought a czech bayonet for it, and I've got ammo pouches and stripper clips. Just need a sling and bayonet frog to finish it up.
    Last edited by mcnabb100; 05-21-17 at 21:15.

Feedback Score
    I have a Canadian No4 made in 1944, a Savage US made "lend lease" No4 made in 1943, an Australian MkIII made in 1943 and a post war British Maltby No4, mk2 made in 1952.

So yeah...you could say I am familiar with the Lee Enfield and the 303 round! LOL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have spent a lot of quality time with all the major WWII bolt action rifles, from all sides, and the Lee Enfield is in my opinion, the very finest of the bunch.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I love enfields, use to have quite a few more than I currently do. I have a lithgow 1919 No1 MkIII that needs some stock work and one of my favorite shooters this Long branch made No4 Mk1/3 that I fit with a Parker Hale PH5c target sight last summer (no real gunsmithing needed). So far 5 shot groups run well under 2" with a best of 1.25" with handloads and 3" with old 40s -50s date Mk VII ball, hangfires included!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1) 1899 Martini Enfield 303 falling block extremely good condition, like new bore

2 and 3) SMLE 1918 303 excellent condition

4) Fin M38 7.62X54

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk