Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First AR15 Build

Feedback Score

First AR15 Build

Iam now putting together my first AR15 build. I just purchased a Aero Precision M4E1 AR-15 Upper Receiver + GEN 2 Free Float Rail and iam looking at a Aero
    AR15 Ambidextrous Lower Receiver and a Prime Weaponry DIAMOND (DLC) BOLT CARRIER GROUP. I need some advice on purchasing a 16" barrel. What does the group recommend?

Feedback Score
    To answer your question from the build forum about the BCG the "Diamond Coating" just seems gimmicky to me and i would just go with standard mil-spec with carpenter 158 bolt. The one you are considering is 9310 steel which is fine if it is heat treated properly, but i don't know much about the company that makes it. I don't like to get to cute with coatings on a bcg and there are few companies that do it right like Sionics NP3 and WMD NIB, but i have heard of enough issues from other companies with the coating flaking off etc that I like to stick with phosphate or nitride. If you wanted a coated BCG i would recommend Sionics NP3 or a Toolcraft Nitride from WcArmory. As far as the barrel goes you said you wanted mid-length. What is the purpose of the rifle? The Faxon Gunner is a solid option that is lightweight and accurate. AIM sells them with a pinned gas block. Criterion is a good option if looking for chrome lined

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I don't know what the purpose is because it wasn't stated. The barrels I used are Ballistic Advantage and Daniel Defense CHF. My default is BA, but if there is a barrel length I need and they don't make it (11.5 for example) then I go to Daniel Defense's CHF.
    I have used Ballistic Advantage barrels in many of my own builds and all the builds for my friends. They are very accurate, high quality barrels. I've built 10.3 - 18 and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing. On my precision guns I also use the BA BCG. On all other builds LMT BCG.

I agree with the previous comment. There is nothing wrong with a phosphate or nitride finish on a BCG. It doesn't need to get fancier than that.
    So is this a GP build?
    And congrats on deciding to build your own.
    Just don't compromise quality on the important parts: Barrel, BCG and a good trigger.
    Stay away from gimmicks and do your homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If general purpose, I agree with Faxon barrels or Ballistic Advantage(Aero Precision IIRC). There are many others out there but these have worked well for me and many others.

If you are looking for a precision build, I have personally had good luck with Rainier Ultra-match barrels and recommend them to friends building a precision rig. You can get Bartlein or Krieger or Lilja but most won't see the difference in accuracy for the price.

As for the bolt/BCG coatings, many, many people and our war fighters do just fine with standard phosphate MIL-spec versions. Go with what works. Easy-peasy.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 05-22-17 at 10:13.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    To answer your question from the build forum about the BCG the "Diamond Coating" just seems gimmicky to me and i would just go with standard mil-spec with carpenter 158 bolt.
    I agree completely.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Have you ever used a DLC BCG or barrel before?

Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    To answer your question from the build forum about the BCG the "Diamond Coating" just seems gimmicky to me and i would just go with standard mil-spec with carpenter 158 bolt. The one you are considering is 9310 steel which is fine if it is heat treated properly, but i don't know much about the company that makes it. I don't like to get to cute with coatings on a bcg and there are few companies that do it right like Sionics NP3 and WMD NIB, but i have heard of enough issues from other companies with the coating flaking off etc that I like to stick with phosphate or nitride. If you wanted a coated BCG i would recommend Sionics NP3 or a Toolcraft Nitride from WcArmory. As far as the barrel goes you said you wanted mid-length. What is the purpose of the rifle? The Faxon Gunner is a solid option that is lightweight and accurate. AIM sells them with a pinned gas block. Criterion is a good option if looking for chrome lined

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I don't and I should have made it more clear I was questioning the source he was buying it from more so than the DLC coating. I know of its use in the oil industry and it looks to be an option if done properly. That being said this is still his first build and I would still recommend keeping it more basic with milspec hpt/MPI bolt

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Look at centurion BCG as well. Ballistic advantage on the barrel. I mean there's plenty of good options and better out there but shop around, primary arms has BA barrels on sale from time to time. These guys know more than I do, but I thought is toss my .02 in there.

I'm probably going to go with a BA Hanson profiled barrel and a toolcraft bcg on my build of builds.

Feedback Score
    If you decide to go with ballistic advantage Right To Bear and Monmouth Reloading have really good prices on their barrels

Feedback Score
    Well I decided to go with a standard Aero lower receiver,
    Ballistic Advantage 556 Performance Series 16 Hanson Barrel, and a BCM .223/5.56 Bolt Carrier Group. Now ian looking for a buffer tube kit, adjustable stock, and muzzle device.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast