Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now it's cheap...

Feedback Score
    Buy now for plinking and reload it later. Unshot brass really hasn't dropped too much, yet ammo has. Time vs Fun!
    Bulk up ya all. Spend cold rainy, snowy days in the reloading room. Good days, blast that cheap factory ammo.
    Happy Independence Day to all!

Feedback Score
    I had bought way ahead and stocked up pretty well prior to the election, but since the Trump win, I've been shooting and not replacing as I go. Decided this month I'd buy a couple cases of something every month, and on Tuesday afternoon, I ordered a couple thousand rounds of Blazer Brass .45 ACP for around $0.26 per round delivered. Just shy of 50 hours later, the cool brown truck showed up with my purchase.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/cci/10...case-ammo-5230 from SGAmmo.

Gotta LOVE www.sgammo.com They are my absolute favorite ammo supplier!
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 07-13-17 at 18:25.

Feedback Score
    what is the general consensus on Freedom Munitions?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooperboy View Post
    Buy now for plinking and reload it later. Unshot brass really hasn't dropped too much, yet ammo has. Time vs Fun!
    Bulk up ya all. Spend cold rainy, snowy days in the reloading room. Good days, blast that cheap factory ammo.
    Happy Independence Day to all!
    I am taking a different route. I have been stocked up on enough reloading supplies for some time to make all the training ammo I could need for a good while. My gun club manager can get powder and primers when NOBODY has them. I've gotten into LR shooting and she was able to score me 16lbs of H4350 back when there was months of no H4350 to be found anywhere. This was also at a cheaper price than anything I could order. I was real tempted to put it on SH and make a lick, but I know how long a drought can last and I needed it.

What I have been doing lately is watching out for sales on SHTF ammo. Local Cabelas had a few cases of BH 77gr TMK 5,56mm that I snagged here and there with coupons they send me. It was cheaper with coupons buying in store than ordering online. They also usually keep a good stock of Hornady 75gr Steel Match at a decent price with coupons. This stuff shoots ungodly great in my 2 LMT LM8MRPSC's. I've also been stocking up on BH 5,56mm 50gr and 62gr TSX at PSA local with their first responder discount. I'm working on a healthy nest egg of good duty type ammo. Another LE supply shop somewhat local usually has damn good pricing on Federal HST and Gold Dot ammo. Now that PSA has the Hornady 168gr ELD match I have been stocking up on it and the 178gr ELD-X, as well as 6.5cm ammo. I have plenty of stuff to load my own precision rifle ammo, but I do like to keep a healthy stash of premium factory match ammo. Locally PSA will every now and then do a instore sale of M118LR loose pack for $389ish. It is normally $549. I usually grab a case or two or it when they put it on sale. I love being in driving distance to half a dozen PSA's. The Greenville store currently has a pallet of CCI SV 22lr sitting right by the door as you walk it. It is almost a better site than the welcome girls at the door of upscale strip clubs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elpotro View Post
    I was a big fan back in the 2009-2012 time. Shot thousands of rounds of their reman 9 and 40 without any issues, primarily through Glock's. Plenty of power for proper ejection and pretty much zero failures. And their prices were very good, about halfway between steel care stuff and the common range ammo like S&B, Blazer Brass, Remington UMC, American Eagle, etc., so it was worth it in my opinion.

Then, they opened a retail store in Houston, and all of the sudden I needed to pay for shipping AND sales tax, so their prices started creeping up. Still, they had decent sales, and I took advantage and bought in several thousand round increments to whittle down shipping cost per round.

Last few years, I've been very disappointed in their stuff. Prices are now no better than factory new, and I've started getting a rash of BTF from my Glock's, that only happens with the FM ammo. Add to that, I discovered sgammo.com, who ship fast, sell low, and carry a decent selection of quality ammo.

So while I still have several thousand rounds of FM stashed away, I'm basically done buying their ammo. And I told them as much in a long and detailed email. they offered to replace the ammo I had, which was a decent gesture on their part, but the issues I'd been having, while consistent, were also random, and I frankly didn't want to go through the effort involved when I didn't expect much improvement.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    I buy a lot of Freedom Munitions handgun ammo, or use to until a month ago. My buddy was finally able to finish his first AR and bought a case of 5.56 reman from them. I've never used any of the reman or rifle ammo and I told him as much. I guess the price couldn't be beat until he had a case head separate on the 60th or so round in his new AR. He was just finishing a failure drill when the last round in the mag went kaboom. I watched the mag explode out the magwell and a cloud of smoke come out of the ejection port. My buddy was alright, only minor burns on his trigger finger. The bolt and carrier were a different matter. The extractor broke and locked the bolt into the barrel extension. The bottom of the carrier had split and curled back like a sardine can. Him and I took the upper apart and found the issue. The bottom of the round had exploded taking half the case head with it. This is not a bash on Freedom, only facts and my own eyewitness account. This is why I only shoot my handloads or factory new.

Feedback Score
    Thank you BuzzinSATX and Chonathin for your input. I have a decent amount of ammo from FM and a friend told me some negatives and that is why I decided to ask. I just learned through this forum about sgammo so I will be checking them out. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Thank you BuzzinSATX and Chonathin for your input. I have a decent amount of ammo from FM and a friend told me some negatives and that is why I decided to ask. I just learned through this forum about sgammo so I will be checking them out. Thanks again.
    You are welcome. I really appreciated them back in their early days when they had great prices and offered an extra 5% off for LEO's and Military. Then they stopped offering the discount, and I called them as asked them about it. They told me they are now offering it to everyone. I said that while they certainly could set prices and discounts however they chose, a discount for everyone is a discount for no one, it's just the new price. Again, not a big deal, but don't BS me.

When I started getting BTF with my G21, my G19, and my G26...only with FM, that was the end of my support. I think they are probably a good bunch of folks, but I'm no longer happy with the ammo they are producing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    I am taking a different route. I have been stocked up on enough reloading supplies for some time to make all the training ammo I could need for a good while. My gun club manager can get powder and primers when NOBODY has them. I've gotten into LR shooting and she was able to score me 16lbs of H4350 back when there was months of no H4350 to be found anywhere. This was also at a cheaper price than anything I could order. I was real tempted to put it on SH and make a lick, but I know how long a drought can last and I needed it.

What I have been doing lately is watching out for sales on SHTF ammo. Local Cabelas had a few cases of BH 77gr TMK 5,56mm that I snagged here and there with coupons they send me. It was cheaper with coupons buying in store than ordering online. They also usually keep a good stock of Hornady 75gr Steel Match at a decent price with coupons. This stuff shoots ungodly great in my 2 LMT LM8MRPSC's. I've also been stocking up on BH 5,56mm 50gr and 62gr TSX at PSA local with their first responder discount. I'm working on a healthy nest egg of good duty type ammo. Another LE supply shop somewhat local usually has damn good pricing on Federal HST and Gold Dot ammo. Now that PSA has the Hornady 168gr ELD match I have been stocking up on it and the 178gr ELD-X, as well as 6.5cm ammo. I have plenty of stuff to load my own precision rifle ammo, but I do like to keep a healthy stash of premium factory match ammo. Locally PSA will every now and then do a instore sale of M118LR loose pack for $389ish. It is normally $549. I usually grab a case or two or it when they put it on sale. I love being in driving distance to half a dozen PSA's. The Greenville store currently has a pallet of CCI SV 22lr sitting right by the door as you walk it. It is almost a better site than the welcome girls at the door of upscale strip clubs.
    Living at 7800' we don't have a cabelas or anything like that even close. Buying reloading stuff or discounted ammo on sale at a fixed shipping rate, has been the best for me to a point depending on overall cost. Closest big city is 2 1/2 hrs. one way. I buy from a more local guy(45 min) away at a very reasonable prices for cases of pmc or federal comparable to those prices at cabelas with coupons. With the new ammo I shoot, I am always cycling new brass into my reloading stock pile. Living in the mts has more advantages than disadvantages. Just like I only shoot down hill with a very long vantage point.
    What's the point of living in a big city? Cheap ammo? Nope I'll stick with my plan, till I move to an island with a surf break. Lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've seen 22lr down to 5.5c/round at Academy and its back on the open shelf (free for all, as I call it). Its good to see supply come back although its a bit higher than before; it only took 5yrs after SH.

I haven't made the jump to 308 just yet..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12