Thread: Nosler RDF 175 gr

Feedback Score

Nosler RDF 175 gr

Has anyone tried the new Nosler RDF 175gr? I've see. A thread pertaining to the .224 70 gr, but I haven't seen one on the 175s. I'm thinking of trying some and comparing to my go to SMKs. Has anyone done this comparison, how much did your load data change?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I am a hard sell when it comes to the next great bullet. For 308, it would be hard for me to switch from the 175 SMK.

Feedback Score
    I'm of the same thinking. The SMKs are so easy to load for and accurate to boot. I guess I was hoping that the Noslers might have the same characteristics, but be even better for trajectory and wind. I was hoping someone else had compared them so I'd have an idea if would he worth it to invest the time and money in doing a workup.

As someone who has only been reloading for a few years, I haven't felt the need to try something like the Berger VLDs. I don't think the juice would be worth the squeeze for my needs. It would be nice to find something that shot better than the SMKs, but still load as easy.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep. We played with the VLDs and didn't see the value. We erode our throats too fast to mess with depth sensitive bullets.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have been thinking of trying them also. The few reviews I have read seem to indicate they load like CCs but give you an extra 10% BC. Sounds pretty good, especially for some of the sale prices on them that put them below SMKs in unit cost. Been loading 175 TMKs some, but can't load down to 2.8 and have them shoot.

markm- how quickly are you burning throats?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I haven't measured mine in a year or so. I'm afraid to. I was monitoring it over the first. 3K rounds. I estimate that I'm at about 5K now. Barrel is still shooting good. I might check it out again and see what the growth is since last time.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Mark, what erosion did get over the first 3k? My round count is low right now but curious to see at what point I might think about chasing the lands. I'm loading 43gr Varget, BR2 Primer in Lapua brass. I forget my coal as I am loading to the ogive at .020 from the lands.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'll look when I get home. I think I have 2 or 3 measurements. Varget lots vary SO widely that we can't compare loads. The lot we currently use has me at 44.3 grains. I got more velocity with 43.8 from my previous lot.
    Last edited by markm; 07-15-17 at 12:52.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Looks like I had only taken 2 measurements. My Rem 700 had a leade of .175" at 83 rounds. At 2074 rounds, it measured .200". It currently measures .207" from my 175 smk load with an average OAL of 2.843"
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I never measured the leade on my R700 at any point. I'm 470 rounds in and was wondering what to expect. Thanks for the info Mark, that doesn't seem too bad.

Sorry for the threadjack OP.