Thread: Franken9 Build

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Franken9 Build

This is my first ground up build so I did a lot of research, well hopefully the right research, before choosing parts. I have it all together and will try it out this weekend. Here are the parts, let me know what you think. I also want to discuss head spacing below.

QC10 lower receiver
    • BCM Mod 3 grip
    • BCM trigger
    • KNS stainless pins ** Will be ordering a set of non-rotating pins as I've read they're a good idea in these blowbacks.
    • KAK tube
    • Kaw Valley .308 spring
    • Kaw Valley Solid Stainless Steel 7.5 oz buffer
    • Shockwave
    • BAD ambi

Spinta Precision upper receiver
    • Faxon 8.5" barrel
    • Spinta Precision 9mm bolt
    • 9" Aero Precision M-Lok Gen 2 rail
    • KAK flas can
    • Magpul Pro front BUIS
    • Old ARMS 40 BUIS

I've searched about head space on these and all I've read is, the casing has to be out far enough (and their pic looks like my case pic). So if anyone has some insight, I'd love to have it. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm glad I see Spinta popping up. Gonna post pics of my build in the custom build soon. They have great customer service and from what I have seen, a pretty decent product. Not to mention prices.

Nice looking setup!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply. The Spinta bolt looks great. I bought their "seconds" bolt and there are very minor blemishes in an area not seen, yep, I'll take the discount. I guess I'll take this by a local AR builder (shop) and have him take a look at it before I test fire it.

Years ago I re-barreled one of my older Colts with a Colt barrel and didn't check head spacing, rifle operates fine. Maybe I got lucky?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There's guys with tons more experience than me on that subject. I am under the impression that quality barrels and quality bolts have proper head spacing by default. HOWEVER, a lot of people don't wing it and use a go no-go gauge. The guns go together like Legos. When I build one, I always dry cycle a few rounds and look at the brass to see if it's jamming up in there or see if any scarring on the case or bullet. A friend of mine uses a HS precision in a HS barrel, an unmarked barrel, a spinta barrel, and one from JSE surplus and has never had them "headspaced"

I'm not saying that is correct, I'm just giving the results he has had and has had ZERO issues. He has swapped bcg's around in every gun he owns to check function.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpoe88 View Post
    There's guys with tons more experience than me on that subject. I am under the impression that quality barrels and quality bolts have proper head spacing by default. HOWEVER, a lot of people don't wing it and use a go no-go gauge. The guns go together like Legos. When I build one, I always dry cycle a few rounds and look at the brass to see if it's jamming up in there or see if any scarring on the case or bullet. A friend of mine uses a HS precision in a HS barrel, an unmarked barrel, a spinta barrel, and one from JSE surplus and has never had them "headspaced"

I'm not saying that is correct, I'm just giving the results he has had and has had ZERO issues. He has swapped bcg's around in every gun he owns to check function.
    Thank you. That was my impression as well, just wanted to be a little more certain before I hit the range.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by locknload223 View Post
    Thank you. That was my impression as well, just wanted to be a little more certain before I hit the range.
    I don't want to misinform you, just speaking from my experience. I believe there's some guys that check headspace and have chamber readers for every caliber and use this for every build. I don't, maybe I should.

I've read a few articles about guys that have been building for 20 years and never checked and have had no problems.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpoe88 View Post
    I don't want to misinform you, just speaking from my experience. I believe there's some guys that check headspace and have chamber readers for every caliber and use this for every build. I don't, maybe I should.

I've read a few articles about guys that have been building for 20 years and never checked and have had no problems.
    I understand completely, thanks again.

Feedback Score
    I love my Spinta AR, with a PSA billet AR9 lower.
    OIF Vet | 0331