Thread: Let's talk about high end piston AR's...

Feedback Score

Let's talk about high end piston AR's...

...namely the Barrett Rec 7 gen 2 and the LMT CQBPS16. I know a lot of guys here feel a certain way about piston AR's vs. DI but that's not the point...I'm mainly curious in learning how these two in particular stack up against other piston systems like the HK416/MR556, PWS, POF, LWRC, and other high end AR's.

Prices have come down on them quite a bit recently and both can be found in the $1400-$1600 range if you look hard enough, and I was interested in learning more about how they stack up to other piston guns. Both seem to be well designed short stroke systems and of high quality, but there's not a ton of info out there on them.

LMT CQBPS

Barrett Rec 7 Gen 2

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was able to get a Barrett Rec7 gen 2 flyweight for a good price on gunbroker. It's really nicely put together. Mine is green in 5.56. I haven't done any accuracy shooting with it yet, just some plinking to verify function on my short range at home.

Feedback Score
    That rental range out in Nevada didn't have anything nice to say about piston AR's and they run them hard. I think the only gun they recommend with a piston in somewhat of an "AR" style- is the SCAR series.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The only manufactured piston 5.56 gund I have are PWS
    I have a Mk116 mod 1, Mk116 Mod 2 and a Mk114 Mod 2

I have tried a LWRC Reaper, just did not get the accuracy I was looking for, went back to a MWS308

I've been nothing but pleased with the PWS offerings. I have a buddy that has a Barrett, he loves it.
    I really don't think you can go wrong with the top four or five piston builders.

I still have a few DI guns, they have their place in my heart and always will.
    My "go-to" is the Mk114 mod 2.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......