Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Forks Over Knives" vs meat vs whatever diets

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

"Forks Over Knives" vs meat vs whatever diets

A coworker mentioned this new movie/book/website/craze full of celebrity endorsements. Obviously vegan and vegetarian diets are nothing new but how is this any different other than some PETA celebs raving about how awesome it is?

My coworker went on about how he had went on this diet and lost a lot of weight, dropped his cholesterol by a hundred points, triglycerides cut in half, etc, etc. That was after he quit eating mostly fast food everyday. So yeah, anything would've been an improvement.

https://www.forksoverknives.com/

I'm far out of my lane but this is what I've been doing lately.

1) Portion control
    2) Lower sugar, starch and bread intake
    3) High fiber, wheat bran, veggies, lentils, beans, legumes, etc.
    4) Little to no fried food
    5) Lower saturated fat and higher mono/polyunsaturated fat
    6) Small snack of a handful of uncooked nuts, almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc. for added protein and Omega-3
    7) Low to moderate amount of dairy
    8) If I eat fish it's either grilled trout, salmon or shrimp.
    9) If I eat chicken, pork or beef I try to keep the portion the size of a deck of cards or smaller.

How am I doing so far? I.e., what seems lacking or am I missing anything critical?

I am not looking to diet to lose weight, just going over healthier food options.
    Last edited by Waylander; 05-24-17 at 09:13.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So you tell us about a bullshit vegan diet and tell us how you're not following it. I'm failing to see the point here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    So you tell us about a bullshit vegan diet and tell us how you're not following it. I'm failing to see the point here.

Perhaps you missed the part in my post where I asked how is this diet any different than other vegan diets?

Obviously parallels can be drawn between a few aspects of vegan diets and being healthy but until I see research that says all meat = cancer I'm underwhelmed.

But by all means keep sticking in your loud ass opinion on numerous threads even though you seem to have no desire to chat about the topics at hand.
    Last edited by Waylander; 05-24-17 at 09:15.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

"Forks Over Knives" and plant based (vegan) diets

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Perhaps you missed the part in my post where I asked how is this diet any different than other vegan diets?

Obviously parallels can be drawn between vegan diets and being healthy but until I see research that says all meat = cancer I'm underwhelmed.

But by all means keep sticking in your loud ass opinion on numerous threads even though you seem to have no desire to chat about the topics at hand.
    You're eating meat. That's no vegan. You provided no specifics about the other diet. It's not so complicated that you can't google it.

I'm sorry you were raised delicate and I am too offensive for you, snowflake. I'll throw you a bone though: a pound is 3500 calories. Fat has more calories per gram than protein, which has more than carbs. It required a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound, it doesn't matter if you're eating vegan or McDonalds or snow cones.

Last edited by tylerw02; 05-23-17 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You're eating meat. That's no vegan. You provided no specifics about the other diet. It's not so complicated that you can't google it.

I'm sorry you were raised delicate and I am too offensive for you, snowflake. I'll throw you a bone though: a pound is 3500 calories. Fat has more calories per gram than protein, which has more than carbs. It required a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound, it doesn't matter if you're eating vegan or McDonalds or snow cones.

Fat = 9kcal/g
    Protein = 4kcal/g
    Carb = 4kcal/g

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Fat = 9kcal/g
    Protein = 4kcal/g
    Carb = 4kcal/g
    Yep. You're correct.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

If you were truly interested in chatting about fitness and nutrition, i.e., the sub forum this post is located in, rather than popping off with sarcasm I'm sure this would go differently. If you aren't, feel free to stop posting at any time.

You're oblivious to the point that I'm not looking for a "diet" as you think of it as in to lose weight but wish to discuss the pros and cons of vegan versus a healthy, meat eating diet. DIET as in the food I eat not the "I want to lose weight diet" you're thinking of.

Notice I said when I eat meat I try to eat a lean portion about the size of a deck of cards. This has been a loose recommendation thrown out there for years by some doctors and dieticians.

It isn't about counting calories though portion control is part of eating right and living a healthy lifestyle. Again, I refer back to this being in the Health and Fitness subforum where SMEs participate that know a hell of a lot more about the subject than you or I.

Back on topic....

Is there any truth to this statement?

"Proteins with a higher biological value are linked to inflammation in humans and can increase IGF-1, an insulin-like growth hormone that is linked to the proliferation, metastases (spread), and invasion of cancer."

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-2978...tein-myth.html

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    If you were truly interested in chatting about fitness and nutrition, i.e., the sub forum this post is located in, rather than popping off with sarcasm I'm sure this would go differently. If you aren't, feel free to stop posting at any time.

You're oblivious to the point that I'm not looking for a "diet" as you think of it as in to lose weight but wish to discuss the pros and cons of vegan versus a healthy, meat eating diet. DIET as in the food I eat not the "I want to lose weight diet" you're thinking of.

Notice I said when I eat meat I try to eat a lean portion about the size of a deck of cards. This has been a loose recommendation thrown out there for years by some doctors and dieticians.

It isn't about counting calories though portion control is part of eating right and living a healthy lifestyle. Again, I refer back to this being in the Health and Fitness subforum where SMEs participate that know a hell of a lot more about the subject than you or I.

Back on topic....

Is there any truth to this statement?

"Proteins with a higher biological value are linked to inflammation in humans and can increase IGF-1, an insulin-like growth hormone that is linked to the proliferation, metastases (spread), and invasion of cancer."

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-2978...tein-myth.html
    If you wanted to discuss the pros and cons of vegan and a general "healthy" diet, then you should have said that in the OP rather than asking "how am I doing?"

Vegan diets CAN work, but they take more work to achieve a healthy intake of complete proteins.

How are you doing? Your body will tell you. Have you had blood work done? Are you experiencing any health problems? We are all individuals and our bodies react somewhat differently to what we put in them. One person may get by fine on a vegan diet, the next may be iron-deficient.

Feedback Score
    I haven't seen that study, but everything I've seen saying meat is unhealthy has been proven BS so far.

I've yet to see anything that shows meat, with variables accounted for, is bad(I've been out of it for a few years).

Diets fail often because it's a fad. Eat moderately, if you need a cheat meal once in a while, do it, but limit it. A lb every week consistently is much better than losing 10lb in a week and gaining it back 3 days later... which is not uncommon.

On a side note, all of the vegans I knew of in real life were not "healthy", maybe coincidence, but I couldn't help but notice.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-23-17 at 20:35.

Feedback Score
    A lot of people thrive on a plant based diet. They usually know how to cook and pay attention to getting the proper intakes. I am not one of them. I do mostly what waylander is doing. I am not trhing to loose weight. I asked my doctor if I needed to be on a vegetarian diet. He said, only if you want to.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast