Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Forks Over Knives" vs meat vs whatever diets

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Base the majority of your diet on whole natural foods that don't come in a box with multiple ingredients and preservatives.

It's really not that hard.

But it's also not very useful. Natural is not a science term. Uranium is quite natural. Flying, pants, and anti biotics are not natural, and you wouldn't want live without them. When you go down the rabbit hole of "natural" it gets muddy and worthless real fast.

As a rule, less processed the better for food, but not all man made things are bad nor are all "natural" things good. Black and white statements/views are of no benefit to the discussion and will lead to more confusion vs less.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    But it's also not very useful. Natural is not a science term. Uranium is quite natural. Flying, pants, and anti biotics are not natural, and you wouldn't want live without them. When you go down the rabbit hole of "natural" it gets muddy and worthless real fast.

As a rule, less processed the better for food, but not all man made things are bad nor are all "natural" things good. Black and white statements/views are of no benefit to the discussion and will lead to more confusion vs less.
    I understand where you're coming from.

I think it's extremely useful, especially when talking to people that may, at the very least, have an elementary level education (i.e. my patient demographic).

Technical semantics don't help in that situation. We don't need to over-complicate an extremely simple concept, when counseling "lay" people.

Just my $0.02
    Last edited by scooter22; 05-25-17 at 10:55.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    I understand where you're coming from.

I think it's extremely useful, especially when talking to people that may, at the very least, have an elementary level education (i.e. my patient demographic).

Technical semantics don't help in that situation. We don't need to over-complicate an extremely simple concept, when counseling "lay" people.

Just my $0.02
    Per usual, a balance must be struck but when people get over reliant on overly simple terms/concepts with "natural" being especially problematic in my experience, it leads to more problems than it fixes.

I think good general guidelines are useful, like "as a rule, less processed foods are recommended" where as overly dogmatic overly simple approaches like "natural good, process bad" of no value.

As Einstein has been paraphrased “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”

If it's simplified to the point it's no longer accurate/correct, it's useless in my view.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Per usual, a balance must be struck but when people get over reliant on overly simple terms/concepts with "natural" being especially problematic in my experience, it leads to more problems than it fixes.

I think good general guidelines are useful, like "as a rule, less processed foods are recommended" where as overly dogmatic overly simple approaches like "natural good, process bad" of no value.

As Einstein has been paraphrased “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”

If it's simplified to the point it's no longer accurate/correct, it's useless in my view.
    Roger. I agree.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The term "organic" gets thrown around a lot and it's hard to tell if the packaging is really that truthful or not.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234