Thread: 7.5" upper with blast cage/thingie? Any experiences?

Feedback Score

7.5" upper with blast cage/thingie? Any experiences?

I want a 7.5" upper and would like the option of having a brake/FH on it when outdoors and a blast deflector that fits over it when inside. I know several companies make them. Has anyone used them? How effective are they on a shorty?

I know about the flaming pig, etc. They're just too heavy and long.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Troy Claymore works perfectly on my 7" AR and is smaller/lighter than the flaming pig.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I had a 7.5 with a Noveske KX5 on it for a while and it was quite effective.

I shot next to a guy recently with a 7.5 with a blast diverter and it was still quite obnoxious but much better than the other guys shooting brakes without them

A linear comp may be much more affective overall there are a few on the market that do a similar job to the KX5 without the size/weight of them.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    IMO,

A 5.56 barrel shorter than 10.5" is not very useful. Too little velocity and too much blast.

Even a 10.5" can be quite blasty without the proper muzzle device.

If you're really set on a barrel shorter than 10.5", an alternative caliber like 300BLK or 6.8SPC is worth looking into and a much better match for the barrel length.

Either way, our Covert Comp does a nice job reducing the blast on short barrels.

We have test barrels for 10.5" & 12.5" 5.56, 8.5" 6.8 and soon a 7.5" 300BLK.
    Last edited by Clint; 06-21-17 at 22:23.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I used the "linear blast deflectors" on a 7.5 5.56 and 8 inch 7.62x39.

They were very effective at directing blast/noise down range outside. Can't speak for inside, though! And every shot still feel's like a KB! in your face.

I don't plan on having barrels that short again. Especially not in 5.56. And despite showing some promise neither ran very well.