Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Iconoclasm & Southern Confederate Monuments

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    dafaq? Speeding = treason? I have paid my price for speeding, this is his price for treason
    did I say treason NO !!!!

do not change what I said

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [/QUOTE]
    Well..what makes you think they are going to stop with the removal of a few statues in red states? Before too long, we will hear call for the removal of statues of Jefferson, Washington and others. Laugh all you want...but I am pretty sure this is coming. That is always how this type of action goes...they will eventually call for the removal of something YOU like, admire or cherish.[/QUOTE]

Slippery slope fallacy.

What a lot of people don't realize is that many of these monuments did not materalize until the civil rights era came about. Nobody gave a damn before then. It's pretty clear much of the confederate flag waiving, monument building was a middle finger to blacks in the 60s.

We absolutely need to pay respects to that part of our history, to all the Americans who died in the war. But we don't need to glorify the confederacy. It's a fine line. The good guys won in the end. Lets move on.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I think stuff like this has us already sliding down the slope quite nicely.

With Confederate flags gone, Civil War museum will close

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/with-c...liC0z4opJ3GTI/
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My only problem with the whole mess is that the nola mayor & a 1/2 dozen elected officials voted to remove historic pieces that have stood over 100 years without any vote from the people or even going through the courts?? Slavery was only a portion of what the civil war was about...Lee was the Union's first choice to lead, but when Virginia went with the south he couldn't abandon his beloved state, & state rights is really what the whole ugly mess was about but it's being watered down.

The actions of the nola mayor & councilmen were more aligned with tyrants than public servants...how could the citizens of nola be left out of this equation & not have a voice?? Here you have a lame duck mayor leading the charge to try & erase history all on his own?? To me, this is really the sad part of it all.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    did I say treason NO !!!!

do not change what I said
    Ya.... that does not help any. No idea WTF you are trying to say...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    My only problem with the whole mess is that the nola mayor & a 1/2 dozen elected officials voted to remove historic pieces that have stood over 100 years without any vote from the people or even going through the courts?? Slavery was only a portion of what the civil war was about...Lee was the Union's first choice to lead, but when Virginia went with the south he couldn't abandon his beloved state, & state rights is really what the whole ugly mess was about but it's being watered down.

The actions of the nola mayor & councilmen were more aligned with tyrants than public servants...how could the citizens of nola be left out of this equation & not have a voice?? Here you have a lame duck mayor leading the charge to try & erase history all on his own?? To me, this is really the sad part of it all.
    You hit the nail squarely on the head, sir. Elected officials serve the people, not the other way around.

We the people's voices are no longer heard.
    Last edited by Waylander; 05-25-17 at 18:33.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    And we are done.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456