View Poll Results: Which of these rails would you be more likely to use on your SBR build?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Geissele MK8

18 62.07%
  • SLR ION

11 37.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SLR ION Lite MLOK vs. Geissele Mk8 MLOK

Feedback Score

SLR ION Lite MLOK vs. Geissele Mk8 MLOK

So after 10 months, my tax stamp finally came back for my SBR. I put on a 12.5" barrel, and I've narrowed down my choices for handguards to the SLR ION and the Geissele Mk8.

From what I understand, the Geissele is pretty much bombproof. The cons to me are the fact that the longest option that Geissele has for a 12.5 and under is the 9.5" rail, and the fact that it has a larger diameter than the ION.

The ION, on the other hand, I can get at 11", which is what I was really aiming for. Also, it's a bit thinner, lighter, and there's more slots for accessories. However, with it being a lighter weight handguard, how is it in terms of durability and rigidness compared to the MK8? Is it decent with iron sights (that is, will I get a lot of flex with it?)

Another thing I wonder about is heat. I have an ALG EMR on my other AR, and it's a great, solid piece, but it heats up pretty fast. Does anyone know if either the MK8 or the ION is better than the other in terms of heating up, or tolerating heavy use and hot barrels?

Anyway, I'm just looking for some opinions on one vs the other and getting some food for thought.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    No experience with the ION.

I personally wouldn't consider a 9.5 inch rail on a 12.5 inch barrel. Geissele really needs to get their act together and offer more lengths.

I know that it's not Geissele, but ALG is having a memorial day sale on their rails in various lengths and configurations. I have a blemished 13 inch V3 and love it. It does heat up fast but rails covers can help.

https://algdefense.com/memorial-day
    Last edited by twm134; 05-24-17 at 17:10.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have an SLR SOLO hand guard (uses same barrel nut), which has a more rounded shape than the ION, on an 11.5" upper. It heats up pretty well when shooting a lot rounds at a fast pace. I know you said you've narrowed it down to the ION and Geissele, but perhaps take a look at the Mega/Hodge wedge rail. It is my favorite MLOK hand guard (I have the SOLO and a Geissele Mk4). The Mega/Hodge is made from 7075 alum. It has a similar shape to the ION. Heat transfer seems to be about the same on three though.

NC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twm134 View Post
    I personally wouldn't consider a 9.5 inch rail on a 12.5 inch barrel. Geissele really needs to get their act together and offer more lengths.
    Agreed. Even just a 10.5". That length would be good for both 11.5 and 12.5 barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by nightchief
    I know you said you've narrowed it down to the ION and Geissele, but perhaps take a look at the Mega/Hodge wedge rail. It is my favorite MLOK hand guard (I have the SOLO and a Geissele Mk4).
    I seriously considered that. The issue was the price, and the fact that I can't seem to find any of the 10.5 or 11" ones anywhere.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 05-24-17 at 17:36.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Food for thought, I am planning on going with a V7 Enlightened M-LOK rail for my 12.5" due to the fact that it is available in 11" and uses a barrel nut attachment similar to the Geissele (which I prefer). I have no experience with the Ions, but my Geissele MK4's are very fine indeed. Ridgid, no overly bulky, heat up slower than lighter-weight options and overall high quality.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    KAC URX4, Hodge/Mega, Troy

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Food for thought, I am planning on going with a V7 Enlightened M-LOK rail for my 12.5" due to the fact that it is available in 11" and uses a barrel nut attachment similar to the Geissele (which I prefer). I have no experience with the Ions, but my Geissele MK4's are very fine indeed. Ridgid, no overly bulky, heat up slower than lighter-weight options and overall high quality.
    The V7 barrel nut is like Noveske. It must be timed. The SLR is more like Geissele's barrel nut.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have you looked at the Centurion Arms? If I were making the choice, I would use the Centurion Arms 11" MLOK. No need to time the barrel nut, rock solid, and nice profile.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Centurion, Hodge, and V7 would be my recommendations for a 12.5in barrel set up.

Feedback Score
    I just found another one that I had forgotten about: The Daniel Defense MFR XS 10" rail. Anyone have experience with this one? It's pretty light; is it pretty rigid and good for heavy use?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast