Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "ring-knocking" still a thing in the U.S. military?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    ROTC programs can vary an incredible amount. My dad is a Naval Academy grad and did very, very well. I wanted to follow in the academy footsteps but could not be happier that I didn't. I'd argue that my ROTC program and my college experience in general could not have been better, but we had a very good program. Other schools right down the road were completely embarrassing, it really just depends on the program leadership. My ROTC PMS (BN CDR) wasn't too strong but the primary NCOs were, which meant that we were raised between a conventional MSG from the combat engineers and an 18D/18Z from a CIF team (his article about Army marksmanship was posted on here a while ago). Pretty ****ing dope, and I absolutely think the best qualities I have are a combination of what I learned from the three of them. I am forever grateful that those men were my mentors and hope that I always remember what they taught me. All that being said, most of the USMA grads I know are pretty squared away. The opportunities they have really set them apart though. Not a single person from my class got a slot for airborne or air assault while we were in school, but I'm pretty sure they run an AASLT school at West Point over the summer. Stuff like that can help quite a bit in the first few years. I can't really comment on how it relates to their slating and promotion though. What I do know is that the vast majorities of LTs are promoted to CPT, unless they do something really stupid OR are infantry and not tabbed. Those guys have a much harder time picking up rank because a lot of them are not given the one thing they absolutely need for promotion, which is a platoon. Two years for XO is about right, depending on how much time was spent in various schools.
    Last edited by Wake27; 05-26-17 at 14:55.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Wake27, when were you in College ROTC? When I did ROTC Basic Camp in 1978, I was kind of a show-off and it got me a slot for Jump School at Benning before my Freshman year of college. That was August 1978. I didn't do Air Assault until July of 1983 when I was assigned to my aviation unit at Campbell. I was basically told that no one goes to Fort Campbell without completing AAS. I did it, but it reminded me why I never wanted to be an 11 Alpha.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Reading all of this makes realize I chose the wrong career in all likelihood.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    I doubt it. I went the Army Officer route because I needed money for college. My folks could be considered average middle class people, but only enough money saved for 1 year of college for me. I also had the itch to get out of New Mexico and see the World. As I think back, I probably saw more of some 3rd World Hell Holes than I cared for. It was a good deal, College paid for and an interesting career for the first half of my working days. Now my youngest son is following close to the same route, except he's doing West Point. I've given him all the pointers I can about how the Army works; he'll have to pave his own way.
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Wake27, when were you in College ROTC? When I did ROTC Basic Camp in 1978, I was kind of a show-off and it got me a slot for Jump School at Benning before my Freshman year of college. That was August 1978. I didn't do Air Assault until July of 1983 when I was assigned to my aviation unit at Campbell. I was basically told that no one goes to Fort Campbell without completing AAS. I did it, but it reminded me why I never wanted to be an 11 Alpha.
    Just a few years ago, I graduated in 2013. We had a small program so usually one or two would go to either school each summer, but Obama's budget cuts hit my year very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Why is that?
    Last edited by Wake27; 05-26-17 at 17:49.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Just a few years ago, I graduated in 2013. We had a small program so usually one or two would go to either school each summer, but Obama's budget cuts hit my year very hard.
    Fantastic. When you went to Basic Camp, they were calling it CIET. They've now returned to the traditional name of Basic Camp, and they've reintroduced a more gritty and dirty experience of the past, in addition to the NCO's doing most of the leadership. When you went to Advanced Camp-LDAC/Warrior Forge, I am assuming you went to Lewis-McCord? That is being returned to Knox as well starting this Summer. The first group of Advanced Camp started yesterday.
    For Basic Camp this Summer Cadet Command is running 3200 young ROTC cadets through the program in 8 mini regiments.

When I was at Basic Camp in 1978, we were in the concrete barracks on the north side of Eisenhower Blvd. The following year in 1979 for Advanced camp, I was in the WW2 wooden barracks where Ireland Army Hospital is now, on the south side of Eisenhower Blvd.

So, if I may ask, did you get the Branch you wanted during the accessions period? I was already MI Enlisted, and remained MI when Commissioned. I guess I was pretty high on the Order of Merit List because I chose MI, with Aviation as my second choice. The same year I graduated at the University of Arizona, I was selected for Flight School.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Fantastic. When you went to Basic Camp, they were calling it CIET. They've now returned to the traditional name of Basic Camp, and they've reintroduced a more gritty and dirty experience of the past, in addition to the NCO's doing most of the leadership. When you went to Advanced Camp-LDAC/Warrior Forge, I am assuming you went to Lewis-McCord? That is being returned to Knox as well starting this Summer. The first group of Advanced Camp started yesterday.
    For Basic Camp this Summer Cadet Command is running 3200 young ROTC cadets through the program in 8 mini regiments.

When I was at Basic Camp in 1978, we were in the concrete barracks on the north side of Eisenhower Blvd. The following year in 1979 for Advanced camp, I was in the WW2 wooden barracks where Ireland Army Hospital is now, on the south side of Eisenhower Blvd.

So, if I may ask, did you get the Branch you wanted during the accessions period? I was already MI Enlisted, and remained MI when Commissioned. I guess I was pretty high on the Order of Merit List because I chose MI, with Aviation as my second choice. The same year I graduated at the University of Arizona, I was selected for Flight School.
    Yeah I was at JBLM. They've already moved it to Knox though, they did it two classes after mine I believe. And from the little that I've heard, it's gotten pretty soft, just like much of the Army. Land nav is now done in pairs.

I got my third choice, Ordnance. It was my "safety" branch, in case I didn't get my first or second choice but I knew it'd be better than finance or some of the others. I'm not really happy with it, but I was planning on going another route anyways so we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I was at JBLM. They've already moved it to Knox though, they did it two classes after mine I believe. And from the little that I've heard, it's gotten pretty soft, just like much of the Army. Land nav is now done in pairs.
    As of February this year, Army has decided to return to basics at Basic Camp. Instead of Officers doing most of the training, it's now senior NCO's. For Advanced Camp, they're also toughing it up as well. I never got to do Land Nav with a battle buddy; I was on my own.

So Ordnance?....you should be an O3 now or in the zone. For Ordnance isn't it at Fort Lee for your Captain's Career Course? What's the chance for a branch transfer? Even your third choice during accessions isn't bad. I never wanted Infantry so it was avoided on my list. I did an early form of the Early Commissioning Program. I enlisted in the Army Reserve but was delayed entry until my High School Graduation. I wanted Armor for my MOS, but I scored at a level on the ASVAB that I was assigned MI-Photo Interpretation Analyst---Imaging Intel. I did that during my first two years of College while under an Army ROTC Scholarship. It was perfect for me going to the U of A in Tucson, and drill/school at Fort Huachuca. After graduation I had a 6 year obligation, but gave them a helluva lot more.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    As of February this year, Army has decided to return to basics at Basic Camp. Instead of Officers doing most of the training, it's now senior NCO's. For Advanced Camp, they're also toughing it up as well. I never got to do Land Nav with a battle buddy; I was on my own.

So Ordnance?....you should be an O3 now or in the zone. For Ordnance isn't it at Fort Lee for your Captain's Career Course? What's the chance for a branch transfer? Even your third choice during accessions isn't bad. I never wanted Infantry so it was avoided on my list. I did an early form of the Early Commissioning Program. I enlisted in the Army Reserve but was delayed entry until my High School Graduation. I wanted Armor for my MOS, but I scored at a level on the ASVAB that I was assigned MI-Photo Interpretation Analyst---Imaging Intel. I did that during my first two years of College while under an Army ROTC Scholarship. It was perfect for me going to the U of A in Tucson, and drill/school at Fort Huachuca. After graduation I had a 6 year obligation, but gave them a helluva lot more.
    That's good to know. I don't think we had a basic course though. It was just all done at school until we went to LDAC. I know I've heard older guys talking about the basic and advanced camps. I did SMP as infantry, then tried to ADSO for IN and MP (I knew armor was getting cut). Was kind of surprised they shot it down with an ADSO, but I was a garbage student so I would've been national guard if not for good evals haha. BOLC and Career Course are at Lee, were waiting on the results for the CPT's board now. And the branch transfer I'm working involves SFAS... got the acceptance notice last week, now just waiting on a course date and trying to prep as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    That's good to know. I don't think we had a basic course though. It was just all done at school until we went to LDAC. I know I've heard older guys talking about the basic and advanced camps. I did SMP as infantry, then tried to ADSO for IN and MP (I knew armor was getting cut). Was kind of surprised they shot it down with an ADSO, but I was a garbage student so I would've been national guard if not for good evals haha. BOLC and Career Course are at Lee, were waiting on the results for the CPT's board now. And the branch transfer I'm working involves SFAS... got the acceptance notice last week, now just waiting on a course date and trying to prep as much as possible.
    Good Luck on the promotion to O3. I'm sure you've got it. Sounds like when you did college ROTC, it was scaled back version of what I did. Basic Camp was mandatory for scholarship kids, as was Advanced Camp (LDAC). Keep in mind I was only 18 when I first went to Knox, and fresh out of High School. For the first two years of college, full tuition and books ,$100 a month living expense, plus my Reserve drill pay. I was 20 when I commissioned at the end of my sophomore year, went to basic officers intel school at Huachuca that summer, then during my Junior & Senior years, got a version of the Army EAP to pay for college, plus my reserve drill pay. Lean times.

The last two years of college I assisted the PMS at the University of Arizona in that AROTC program as kind of aide. Having a good relationship there helped with my Order of Merit List placement. After graduation I went to Fort Lewis for BOLC. Thought I'd stay in MI and never thought I'd have a chance for Aviation. It happened. A friend of mine and retired LTC commissioned Field Artillery and retired Military Intelligence.

Good Luck, and it sounds like you've got things planned out.
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast