Thread: Current Marlin 336 production location?

Feedback Score

Current Marlin 336 production location?

Are they built in KY or NY?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Oddly enough, I was just reading about this today in an NRA magazine. The article said they are made in NY after moving from Connecticut. I know nothing about this rifle so was reading the article as I've always thought about getting one but never seemed to get around to it. They seem like fun and something different, for me at least.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Hmm..I think Marlin makes some models in KY and some in NY. I'm aware they are owned by a lousy company called Remington who is owned by Freedom Group. (Also kinda lousy)

I havent seen a Marlin to examine but I read quality has been on the rise from the past 5 years or so.

If it's made in NY I'm certainly not buying one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Hmm..I think Marlin makes some models in KY and some in NY. I'm aware they are owned by a lousy company called Remington who is owned by Freedom Group. (Also kinda lousy)

I havent seen a Marlin to examine but I read quality has been on the rise from the past 5 years or so.

If it's made in NY I'm certainly not buying one.
    The Mayfield KY plant has shut down, they moved the equipment and production to Huntsville AL.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Just looked at the article to be sure and definitely says Ilon, NY is where all lever actions are made now. June 2017 edition of American Rifleman in case you were interested. Now whether the article is accurate, that's another thing.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    With quite literally millions of older, and very well built Marlin lever actions throughout America, I would not even bother with a new one. They are not hard to find in great shape, and quite often you can find ones with quite a bit of cosmetic wear, but mechanically in excellent condition, due to riding around in pickups, or being propped behind the door in various rural locations. Those "utility" guns make for great platforms, to acquire at reasonable rates, and customize as a person sees fit.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    With quite literally millions of older, and very well built Marlin lever actions throughout America, I would not even bother with a new one. They are not hard to find in great shape, and quite often you can find ones with quite a bit of cosmetic wear, but mechanically in excellent condition, due to riding around in pickups, or being propped behind the door in various rural locations. Those "utility" guns make for great platforms, to acquire at reasonable rates, and customize as a person sees fit.
    Well, if I got one it would need to be a .357 1894 with 16 inch barrel and I'd reduce the LOP. Or a .30-30 "Spikehorn" they call it. I actually blundered into a cherry .35 cal Marlin for $300. Sold it fast for $350. Never fired it. Figured it would feel like a .30-30 with 200 gr bullets so..

If I kept it I'd have wanted to have it cut down at both ends and change the sights/add an optic. Didn't want to alter such a nice gun.

I could either take the chance on a new Spikehorn or take a chance on a used one and hope nobody buggered it up. Today I lean towards neither.