Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has This Ever Happened to You?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Has This Ever Happened to You?

Went to the range to, among others things, zero the PSA Freedom 16' Mid-Length Upper I ordered on a whim. The upper came with an 'F' FSB and I added a Troy Fixed Battle Sight.

I was going to zero 25 yards on an M4 Zero Target modded for a 100 yard zero. I was kind of curious to see what the extra couple inches of sight radius would do for adjustments.

The range I wanted to use was already taken, so I ended up zeroing off one of the 25 yard barricade event barricades on an action pistol bay.

Anyways, first three shots were in the circle on the M4 target's silhouette. I had done nothing to the front sight or the rear sight. How often does that happen?

I dropped 6 clicks on the FSB and there they were, in the circle for the 100 yard zero. I was standing, granted supported, so the 3 round patterns were nothing to brag about.

I did some pistol drills and then moved over and confirmed zero on an 8" gong at 100 yards.

Nothing special, but I was pretty surprised about the first three rounds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Only once. I threw fixed DD sights on a new BCM 11.5" upper earlier this year and it took exactly 2 vertical clicks to get zeroed @ 50Y. Fastest zeroing session I've ever had.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a PSA premium upper with the FN chf c/l barrel and a Burris 2-7 and plugged a dead nut group at 100 on the first three. I wouldn't have believed it is I wasn't the only one at the range. It wasn't bore sighted. Literally both turrets were at "0"

Those PSA freedom kits are too cheap to pass on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Throw enough darts and eventually you'll hit the triple 20.

Customer support, quality of materials, and adherence to overall system specifications have no effect on bullet-to-barrel-to-sighting-system accuracy. That SaidTM, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. A sample size of one is by definition a limited account, but that sample size of one is its own environment and set of variables that worked very well.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post

Customer support, quality of materials, and adherence to overall system specifications have no effect on bullet-to-barrel-to-sighting-system accuracy. That SaidTM, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. A sample size of one is by definition a limited account, but that sample size of one is its own environment and set of variables that worked very well.
    I believe that. They have good prices and sometimes you get a diamond in the rough but last time I bought a rifle kit from them, it took 3 weeks. Haven't bought anything since

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post

This is true.

That said, had a BCM upper, one of the blems from a couple years ago now, 16inch Middy, BFH, Larue rail, slapped a set of Troy folding BUISs on her, cranked them down, took them to the range.

Had two BCM uppers that day one with standard FSB and troy rear, and the other above mentioned one. The first was the was with the FSB, an older upper actually, and had to crank the rear over to get it to zero, ended up not liking it, swapped it with an old A.R.M.S. #40 rear because it annoyed me. Grabbed my other rifle with the blem upper and set of troy sights, 3 shot group, all three where I want them, did 3 more groups to confirm not a fluke, took a few shots at range, no issues, slapped on my ACOG and zeroed that and haven't really messed with irons since, but I never adjusted them on that rifle. However the rounds that I saved there I more than made up for with another rifle, it even outs in the end.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It has happened to me more than once with BCM uppers.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It just happened to me with my SIONICS upper and some KAC 200-600 flip-ups.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is only the second FSB upper I've owned, the first was a BCM Carbine Upper which I got for my son. I wasn't with him when he zeroed it so I don't know if it was on from the get go. I do know that scoped he is flat out dead on with it out to 300, it is definitely a good shooting upper. Surprised he didn't shave the front sight but the LGS fixed him up with a higher mount.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-25-17 at 12:55.

Feedback Score
    I've owned many many AR's in the last twenty years, and I do remember on occasion a gun was zeroed right from the factory either with no clicks necessary or maybe only one or two. That's actually one reason I switched to the AR from the AK. Some of my AK's took quite a bit of shooting to sight in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast