36 43.90%
  • Weight

9 10.98%
  • Length

2 2.44%
  • Other

23 28.05%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Suppressor, biggest selling point for you?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Brand for:
    adapter - brake
    customer service
    quality

Sound reduction is not a big deal to me, they all work pretty well IMHO
    weight is important but they all stack up very similar if they are all steel or Ti
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Caliber compatibility.

Feedback Score
    I feel like I have more than one answer to the poll. My answer was "other". My main drivers lately might be and poi shift and weight. I find poi shift advertising to be misleading however and if I was really taking weight seriously I'd probably have more direct thread cans as they seem to generally be shorter and lighter.

Bought my AAC M4-2000 because of price. It came with a pistol can as well as $400 of rebate cash.

In some cases it has been all about the brand. Specifically Surefire, Knight's, and AEM (wish I could have found an OPS though) for Mk 18 / Mk12 / M4A1 clones.

Other times it's the QD method. I bought a Griffin M4SDII because of the A2 flash hider compatibility, Knight's QDC cause I think it's a slick solution. Bought my Saker's because they were compatible with my existing AAC / Specwar flash hiders.

Sometimes weight - Trek-T on a lightweight build.

Other times it's about sound level. Bought my Specwar 762 because it was one of the quieter cans available at the time.

Ultimately I think my point is that depending on what type of gun you are putting together, you will have a different priority. The NT4 might be heavy and outdated but to a clone guy it might be the only one he's interested in because it's the only one that's "right".

From talking to people at ranges / shops it seems like most are interested in sound reduction as that's the first impression most of them get when shooting next to someone with a can. I would say sound reduction is a good criteria for a first can because it seems like it would be disappointing to have just one silencer and it not be quiet. You'll most likely look for size / weight reductions in your second can.
    Follow me on Instagram @triggerguard

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I don't think sound is going to differ greatly between models, but tone can change. Watching videos online doesn't give you a lot of good info to go on, and even SPL specs can be deceiving.

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the lightest weight suppressor for my particular application. All of the modular designs I've come across seem to trade this away big time for more versatility.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    I don't think sound is going to differ greatly between models, but tone can change. Watching videos online doesn't give you a lot of good info to go on, and even SPL specs can be deceiving.

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the lightest weight suppressor for my particular application. All of the modular designs I've come across seem to trade this away big time for more versatility.
    Correct. Spectral analysis is the only real way to gauge real world sound power output. Nobody is doing that, as far as I know.

And it can be done far field as well.

Also, a std needs to be developed like CEA2010 for home theater subwoofers. Where SPL output numbers are provided at proscribed frequencies starting at 100hz and going up to, say 8khz. The intervals don't have to be regular. Maybe ten total data points. Controlled for temperature, air pressure, and humidity.

So, a reading at each frequency:

100hz
    250hz
    500hz
    750hz
    1khz
    1.5khz
    2khz
    4khz
    6khz
    8khz

THAT would begin to provide a baseline with which cans could be loosely compared.

But it would all have to be done on the same barrel lengths, with the same ammo. Preferably, with a chronograph for each shot, to account for shot to shot variation. Which isn't fully possible, so it will still not be anything approaching an absolute standard.

Somebody PM me if they are a professional and are serious about setting forth such a testing standard.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-09-17 at 09:08.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    bought mine for 2 reasons, blast/sound reduction, add length via pinnable can so I have legal length and don't have to get permission to travel with a SBR

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    POI shift and mount design, which usually are linked together.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Design and function go without saying, but I try my best to balance weight and what materials I feel will constitute in providing the most longevity possible. I doubt I'll ever sell any of my cans so I think durability is pretty important

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My newest biggest selling point is how much back pressure does the can create. In a world of over gassed guns, suppressors are getting better at managing gas pressure and blow back etc. Its huge on ARs'. Ive always been an advocate of the trusty AAC m42k, mini and 762SDN and they are work horses for cans. But they don't manage gas like my new sig cans do. Or at least it seems.

The companies that do a good job on this don't get credit because its hard to quantify. And most people don't have that many cans and switching them around is a PITA, but the newer cans on average are trying to do a better job. At least I suspect this with my limited experience with AAC, Gemtech, Surefire, Sig and TBAC cans.

Bolt guns not such a big deal.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234