36 43.90%
  • Weight

9 10.98%
  • Length

2 2.44%
  • Other

23 28.05%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor, biggest selling point for you?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Mounting system is the biggest factor for me (rifle cans), second is back pressure. I use surefire cans for both of these reasons.
    Last edited by Wolfpack45; 05-26-17 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpack45 View Post
    Mounting system is the biggest factor for me (rifle cans), second is back pressure. I use surefire cans for both of these reasons.
    I logged in to post this, pretty much exactly. I have 2 556RCs and one 762 RC, and a 300SPS in jail.

Feedback Score
    1. Weight by, I don't mind giving up durability due to me having multiple similar supressors (2x TB ultra 7, 2x YHM titanium cans)
    2. Mounting system (no aac cans in other words)

99. Durability, I'll just go buy another if it wears out, will probably be an upgrade anyway by that
    100. Multicaliber cans. I have about 10 cans and less than 10 friend's that would go shooting with me on any given day

Feedback Score
    For rifle cans, to my ears, they all sound the same, and none are truly hearing safe... For me, mounting system, and weight are next on the list. I would like to say 'suppression', but for center fire rifle, it just doesn't matter.

If your suppressor choice takes $100 muzzle devices, and you intend to use it on different rifles, it adds quite a bit to the 'buy in', although you can spread it out a bit. Suppressors like the Gemtech Halo (that uses a standard A1 or A2 flash hider) represent a significant bit of savings if you use it on three or four rifles. Once you buy two or three muzzle devices, you become 'married' to a system, and it's easy to buy more of that brand because 'I already have the mounts'.

Let me also throw in there, I don't like 'thread on' rifle suppressors...and since I don't like Gucci muzzle attachments, that just leaves a few choices. Gemtech, Griffon Armament, and I think there is another in Arizona make A1/A2 compatible attachments.

For pistol, there is a broader range of suppression effectiveness, IMO. I would pay more attention to Db testing, and first round pop.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Caliber depending, sound is typically at the top of the list - not just reduction, but tone as well.

Repeatable mounting and overall durability are close second and third.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depends on its purpose. For 22 cans I wanted something that will last and is cleanable. For that I wanted stainless steel as the weight for something that small isn't as big of a deal. In my case both times I went with silencerco. At the time they were considered some of the best and my dealer had them in stock which made it an easy choice. I actually want a third and I'm thinking that gemtech suppressed barrel for the ruger 10/22 takedown.

For pistol I first bought an osprey. I honestly liked how it didn't interfere as much with sights and that you could tell if it was starting to walk.

On rifles it depends on what it is going on. My first rifle can(actually first suppressor) was the gemtech halo. Great can although you do really feel its weight. I bought it because I could mount it with a few dollar peal washer kit vs an expensive mount. Also it was considered to be a beast of a can at the time that could hold up to pretty much any abuse. Later I bought a griffin m4sd ii as it could mount to the same guns using the a2 flash hiders and peal washers. I will say this is an area I've learned a lesson in. Going forward I'm going to try and get rifle cans in titanium to save weight. Might end up with a newer halo at some point due to the weight saving. I did end up with a gemtech one suppressor on order(haven't gotten it yet) because I have a hvt-qd and it uses the same mounts. That old can is really heavy. My rational behind it is that I can use my existing mounts, its one of the lighter qd cans(and I wanted qd), and I've been happy with my existing gemtech cans(other than weight on some of the older ones).

It is also always worth checking to see whats been happening if the can has been out a while. SilencerCo seems to have had some issues with rifle cans coming off. It seems like every story of a can flying down range in the last few years has been one of theirs. While I've been happy with the pistol and rimfire cans it makes me want to avoid their rifle ones. Now adays I have to say that silencershops ability to handle the paperwork makes me want to use them more too.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I chose a Ti can to keep down the front end weight.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    For me it depends on the purpose.

The biggest thing is to remove the BOOM - primary function and is helpful for new shooters, especially women and young children.

My early choices in suppressors was lowest Db possible. Now it's more about balancing durability, weight, length, because I have several SBR's. Overall Db reduction comes in last for me now.

Feedback Score
    Multi caliber was a big consideration for me, as I run 223,300BO,6.8, and 308....I already had several AAC 51T mounts on rifles before I moved to a state where I could own a can, so my first was an AAC 762SD. Most of my rifles it locks up tight with no wiggle, but some do have it. It has not caused any issues.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Ruggedness of materials and construction, quality of the mount, audio performance, weight, flash reduction. In that order.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast