Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do AR Pistols need Forward Assist?

Feedback Score

Do AR Pistols need Forward Assist?

I'm planning to build a 7.62x39 10.5" AR pistol as a truck gun/home defense gun. So it needs to be as light and snag free as possible but also 110% reliable.

In shooting centerfire AR carbines I never use F/A and in fact have several carbines without F/A.

Since shooting an unshouldered AR pistol vs an AR carbine is similar to "limp wristing" a conventional semi auto pistol, Does the need for F/A arise more often with AR pistols?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If a carbine needs it, than so does a pistol.

I'd suggest not limp-wristing your weapon.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    You make a good point ... if shooting unshouldered, there's less of a stable platform for the weapon to operate with, therefore seems more susceptible to a malfunction / out of battery making a forward assist more desirable. I'm sure they're be a ton of opinion both ways, but ultimately you'll need to determine if it's peace of mind you want to have. Thinking about it, it would be for me.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A low drag forward assist may be a good compromise in this case.

Still there if you need it but as snag free as possible.

Eta link http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/LDF...sist_p_16.html
    Last edited by Clint; 05-25-17 at 20:49.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    in my 45+ years of shooting them i only attempted to use it once when a bolt didn't fully close. using it forced in a bad round that required "mortaring" the carbine to get it out. had i jsimply ejected it at the start i wouldn't have had that problem.

the other excuse for one is verifying the bolt is fully forward after checking to see if loaded. i find it faster easier just to pull the bolt back a bit and let the bolt's weight slam it home.

haven't used a FA since. and all builds are now done with slick-sides.

your mileage may differ...

Last edited by feraldog; 05-26-17 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    I use the forward assist all the time. I chamber the round in my house by pulling the ch and riding the bolt home, then i press the fa to fully seat the bolt in the chamber.

Why make so much racket everytime i chamber the gun at my house. It makes no sense.

I do push the fa when doing a chamber check, as well.

Sometimes i use my finger to push the bolt forward, but im lazy and prefer to use my thumb.

(I am lefty soo that may help im my decision.)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    A low drag forward assist may be a good compromise in this case.

Still there if you need it but as snag free as possible.

Eta link http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/LDF...sist_p_16.html
    Thanks for the link, I may have to switch mine out since I went to all ambi charging handles (wife is a lefty).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack View Post
    Since shooting an unshouldered AR pistol vs an AR carbine is similar to "limp wristing" a conventional semi auto pistol, Does the need for F/A arise more often with AR pistols?
    I can't speak to the FA. I suppose there is value. When it comes to limp wristing, you're referring to a situation that occurs with recoil operated pistols (browning action, blowback, etc). I don't think that situation could occur with a gas operated weapon such as a non-blowback AR. I'd expect a DI/inline-piston/external piston AR to cycle even if completely unsupported. Think about bump firing.
    Last edited by wct097; 05-28-17 at 07:29.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
    .. I don't think that situation could occur with a gas operated weapon such as a non-blowback AR. I'd expect a DI/inline-piston/external piston AR to cycle even if completely unsupported. Think about bump firing.

A loose hold does affect gas operated weapons and can cause short stroking in examples with very low gas drive.

The reason is that rearward acceleration from recoil tends to hold the BCG and buffer closed and makes them appear "heavier" to the gas system.

A small amount of extra gas drive overcomes this effect.

In fact, "loose hold lock back" is a useful test for overall weapon reliability.

IMO, AR pistols should always be gassed for reliability with a loose hold or one handed operation.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I would suggest to use F/A on AR-15 rifle because F/A is not usually work better on these guns and also not useful to you in that situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast