Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do AR Pistols need Forward Assist?

Feedback Score
    I always opt for forward assist. Like the gun itself, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've always used the cutout on the bolt carrier as per Stoner's design and if the bolt doesn't go into battery I briskly rack the BCG again

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryall4 View Post
    I always opt for forward assist. Like the gun itself, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it
    Agreed.

I've only really needed to use my FA once. But because of that, I won't buy or own an AR15 style firearm without one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriartiarmaments View Post
    I would suggest to use F/A on AR-15 rifle because F/A is not usually work better on these guns and also not useful to you in that situation.
    ...yep

Feedback Score
    Seems to me that no matter the configuration of the gun, rifle or pistol, the function is still the same, so the forward assist would be just as usable on one as the other. JMHO.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    If a round doesn't chamber fully then forcing it to is a bad idea and can lead to stuck cases, case head separations, and in extremely unlikely but still possible very slightly out of battery discharges. None of those things are faster to remedy than just running the action. A chamber obstruction can take time to clear but less time than a case separation, stuck case or heaven forbid a minor blow out which will require at the very least a new extractor and probably a new bolt catch.
    Last edited by cemoulton; 07-12-17 at 22:42.

Feedback Score
    Only time I used an FA was on my first 7.62x39 build. My mags were tight and the first round or two needed a light tap on the FA to seat. Eventually they broke in but I used that FA a lot.

First few times it didn't feed I just charged it, but got tired of picking up good rounds from the ground. Tapping the FA was quick & easy and seated every time. So I think of the FA like tools in the trunk, might never need it but glad it's there.

Feedback Score
    I have two uppers that are slick. For a pistol, I would skip the FA and try to keep the package compact and streamline.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12