Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Unmarked "Colt" Bolt Carrier Assembly

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    The box has OEM1 on it along with the serial number. I checked the bolt on one I bought before buying. Did not check carrier/extractor at the time, but the bolt was easy.

Interesting question: how do you confirm handguards are Colt? There are a few things on websites mention, but I'm not convinced Colt is using the same mouldings or suppliers.

Are the butt stocks marked on 6920s? I had a spare LMT M4 type I used for now.

Now I think I want an "as issued" drop in quad rail if they are not stupid expensive.
    There's a thread on TOS showing how to spot a Colt handguard. My OEM1 buttstock had the "blank disc" on the right side which IIRC is a sure sign it's aftermarket.
    (If I'm not mistaken that space is there for a company to put their own logo). Only the trigger guard on my rifle "might" be Colt just because I don't think there are that many makers. I could be wrong.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Just my opinion, but to the extent that Colt is supposed to be a pure breed and not a mongrel, I wish they would only sell complete rifles and maybe parts, but shouldn't have these "hybrids" or "builders' models" that can dilute the purity with non-Colt components. I don't buy a weapon to save $300 just because I "might" put a different stock or set of handguards on it. I buy a weapon with the expectation that it has all top-tier battle-ready components in it.

To my mind the Expanse especially, and now potentially the OEM series cast doubt on that confidence.

Just my two cents.
    Maybe so with the OEM1, which is moot at this point.

OEM 2 fills a legit need, rail and stock fashion is pretty dynamic.

I would have bought Colt OEMs rather than LMT/DD early on if available at similar price points.

I do agree about selling stripped lowers, dilutes the brand. Or at least mark them differently.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    There's a thread on TOS showing how to spot a Colt handguard.
    That's the one I think might be getting out of date. But I've not compared a recent 6920 to confirm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    That's the one I think might be getting out of date. But I've not compared a recent 6920 to confirm
    You could be right. Truth be told I just removed my OEM1's skinny handguard and replaced it with fat M4 handguards from BCM because I KNOW those aren't junk. I may very well have removed genuine Colt handguards--but I highly doubt it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My LE6920 has blank disc on the stock. It came directly from Colt to my house. But if you move the lever to remove the stock it has Colt's cage code under the lever.
    Owner of Carolina Laser Works
    https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDeltaJuliet View Post
    My LE6920 has blank disc on the stock. It came directly from Colt to my house. But if you move the lever to remove the stock it has Colt's cage code under the lever.
    I stand corrected. Really good info there. I'm sure I'll find the cage code, but could you be a little more specific as to its location?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It is on the right side of the stock. Here is a photo of mine.

Attachment 46173
    Owner of Carolina Laser Works
    https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDeltaJuliet View Post
    It is on the right side of the stock. Here is a photo of mine.

Attachment 46173
    Got it. Mine says 4U486, which, if I remember correctly, is a cage code for a contractor that actually made M4 stocks for Colt, so in a way it's a "genuine" Colt M4 stock.

Now, how do I tell if the thin profile, single-shield handguards that came with the rifle are Colt or not?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just looked over NIB 6920 & 6720s.

Stock identical to pics above.

The handguards were different in details between the two, different finish and also slightly different rib molding. Both had 7 holes, where the guide on TOS said Colts will have 6.

So I think the guide may be outdated or Colt has changed suppliers. Or uses more than one supplier.

Upper forgings markings were different mfgs, one was keyhole, the other the square.

6720 FSB was not F marked, go figure.

Also confirmed my OEM1 had C marked carrier, rollmark, not do matrix.

But the best way to know for sure is to look at the box as they are serialized and clearly specify oem vs law enforcement carbine differently

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barfly76 View Post
    The bolt doesn't have the C either. Oh well, I will run it and move on. Thanks guys.
    Does it have to be a Colt BCG? Will a BCM, ToolCraft, or DD, work just as well? Or, are you trying to keep the rifle ALL Colt?
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast