Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting a M1A Barrel?

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

Cutting a M1A Barrel?

Today I picked up a M1A. Been wanting one for a while but haven't seen one at a good price until today. Managed to pick up a used one with a Springfield 3x9x56 scope and mount for 1K on the nose. Stock look like a dogs dinner but other than that it is solid.

Problem is that it is a service model and I really prefer a shorter barrel. Instead of buying one and having it swapped out I was wondering about the feasibility of cutting the current 22 inch barrel down to 18 inches.

Would this require a change in the gas port size? Any other complications I should worry about?
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Make sure it is not a USGI barrel. If it is you could easily sell it for what you want without cutting a desirable and scarce barrel.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Make sure it is not a USGI barrel. If it is you could easily sell it for what you want without cutting a desirable and scarce barrel.
    How can I tell?
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Pull back the operating rod and look under handguard at barrel for markings.
    SA, TRW, HR for example with number code. Barrel will be medium weight, 1:12 twist, chrome lined.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mine for example is a Douglas premium heavy barrel, 1:10, unlined bore. Non USGI tube as it came from the new Springfield Armory.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Here is what I found. I think this is an old one. Not that I mind that.

Last edited by kwelz; 05-25-17 at 21:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How much range will you typically lose by cutting 4" off?
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You have a national match usgi barrel. 1972 vintage. Shoot it first before you decide what to do with it. Should be a good barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That barrel appears to be made by Saco Defense of Maine. Two of the best shooting M1A's I owned had SAK barrels. Some say they were more accurate than TRW match barrels.

If I wanted a shorter barrel, I would have the barrel replaced by a reputable gunsmith and sell the SAK barrel.
    Last edited by T2C; 05-25-17 at 21:31.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    That barrel appears to be made by Saco Defense of Maine. Two of the best shooting M1A's I owned had SAK barrels. Some say they were more accurate than TRW match barrels.

If I wanted a shorter barrel, I would have the barrel switched by a reputable gunsmith and sell the SAK barrel.
    AMEN! Good condition SAk barrels are collectable.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast