Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Some low end manufacturers getting desperate

Feedback Score
    I can understand how a lot of people would have gone for a low end rifle with the Hillary scare. I followed my heart and grabbed a DD!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The LGS I frequent has literally boxes of overstock long guns (mostly AR's) piling up at rock bottom prices. This is great for all of us, at least in the next 4yrs if nothing happens. Most manufacturer's and dealers are hurting so prices are just going to stay low or go even lower.

Quote Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
    I decided that I'm going to take advantage of the glut. I'm going to do my part to Make America Great Again by buying an AR lower receiver every other month while Trump is in office. Ordered two this month (an Anderson for $30 and a Noveske), plan to order another in July. Figure I can budget $30-50/mo and have quite the collection by 2024 if Trump goes the whole way. Also still plan to continue buying at least one AR mag every time I go to a gun show. It's kind of like the stock market.... when the bottom drops out, you buy more while everything is on sale.
    Great plan. I might adopt the same idea while the getting is good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think if we get some sbr/suppressor laws removed..that'll be a shot in the arm for the industry.
    Right now, Im not even remotely interested in registering one damn thing with Uncle Sugar. No paperwork?
    401K LOAN HERE I COME.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    The LGS I frequent has literally boxes of overstock long guns (mostly AR's) piling up at rock bottom prices. This is great for all of us, at least in the next 4yrs if nothing happens. Most manufacturer's and dealers are hurting so prices are just going to stay low or go even lower.

Great plan. I might adopt the same idea while the getting is good.
    One side effect is that functional if unimpressive used franken guns (generic lowers/parts) can be had for $250-350 used locally from a friend's store.

One man's custom build is just another's commodity generic/frankengun unless the lower, barrel, BCG, trigger, and rail are clearly identifiable top tier mfgs.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Let's not forget the laws of economics and that there is an equilibrium. Eventually the lower demand manufacturers (don't confuse that with "low tier") will drop out of the market and supply will drop - thereby increasing prices.

I am definitely hoping for $350 BCM uppers and free BCGs again though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Let's not forget the laws of economics and that there is an equilibrium. Eventually the lower demand manufacturers (don't confuse that with "low tier") will drop out of the market and supply will drop - thereby increasing prices.

I am definitely hoping for $350 BCM uppers and free BCGs again though.
    Interested in your ideas on lower demand manufacturers versus lower tier.

Not arguing your basic premise - if supply drops more rapidly than demand, prices should increase across the board. Just wondering about your ideas on lower demand manufacturers, specifically who they are, and how significant their exit would be in terms of overall supply.

Fun fact WM C Anderson, Inc., dba Anderson Arms made 300,390 rifles in 2015. That would include lowers they made and serial numbered, that is a bunch.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Not quite sure I follow exactly, but I'll try.

Guys like DD, BCM, and Noveske are going to struggle for market share. They may not go out, but prices will drop initially, marketing will slow down, and R&D will cease. From there? Who knows. It will be even worse for the "mid tier" guys as their prices don't have much lower to go from where they have been. Instead of rock bottom prices at the top tier guys you will just see production lines slow down. Noveske will never sell an upper for $350 because they will have a tough time justifying it in the future for $899.

On the other hand, Windham/Bushmaster/DPMS are not going to have issues staying in business and will struggle initially but adapt well. They either have owners that can buoy them up or brand recognition that will keep folks buying their stuff. Lots of people think M4C represents all carbine buyers - in reality it isn't even a market segment worth mentioning to the big makers. If it was, said manufacturers would not STILL be making 1:9 twist barrels without staking anything important.

Brands like DPMS and DD aren't really comparable products. Forum goers they are, but they are marketed totally differently to totally separate demographics. I don't see DPMS throwing up videos of ex Delta operators throwing their rifles from helicopters. So I don't think a slow in the market will affect each equally. Windham can slow supply and sell rifles for $499 but that isn't going to affect BCM. Same the other way around.

As said previously, the big hit is going to be on the mid tier guys who have already been pricing things at rock bottom. Once the big hitters lower their prices (and they will) they will need some significant plays to stay relevant. Brownells, Springfield Armory, Savage - all these new dudes making ARs will be interesting to watch.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-29-17 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Kind of where I thought you were going with the mid-tier.

The one thing that I would 'argue' is that based on current (2015) market share manufacturers like Noveske and KAC will not need to compete on price as much as other manufacturers will find themselves doing. They will still sell their 1,500 to 2,000 rifles a year.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...final/download

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Anderson makes a lot, but their dealers practically give them away. Standard stuff I'm sure is ok, but I'm one who isn't going to try it at the price point. $29 Stripped Lowers is less than many manufactuers pay for a raw forging. The 'lubeless' stuff just sounds like yet another snake oil.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Everyone who doesn't have a /gov contract, from dealers, to manufacturers, who floats any debt at all, is desperate as shit and going broke.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast