Thread: AR barrels made of 416R stainless.....how do they compare?

Feedback Score

AR barrels made of 416R stainless.....how do they compare?

Compare to chrome lined or nitrided (melonited) as far as durability and corrosion resistance? Does a barrel of 416R hold up to wear and corrosion better than a non-lined, 4150V for instance? I realize that the entire barrel is made of stainless but I'm speaking specifically about chamber and bore related issues of wear and corrosion.

I've always heard that stainless is "softer" than other barrel materials, and I know for a fact (having seen it myself on a pistol slide) that stainless can rust.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Compare to chrome lined or nitrided (melonited) as far as durability and corrosion resistance? Does a barrel of 416R hold up to wear and corrosion better than a non-lined, 4150V for instance? I realize that the entire barrel is made of stainless but I'm speaking specifically about chamber and bore related issues of wear and corrosion.

I've always heard that stainless is "softer" than other barrel materials, and I know for a fact (having seen it myself on a pistol slide) that stainless can rust.
    Somewhat a loaded question. All stainless can rust. Some is harder than others, some is more corrossion resistant.

For throat erosion, you should be more concerned with melting temp and other attributes, not corrosion resistance (salt spray test). Meloniting ss (iirc) increases life of the barrel, but lowers corrosion resistance.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-27-17 at 10:55.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    This is the best write up I've seen about 416 steel barrels.

https://www.quora.com/Which-material...barrel-and-why

Here is another take on 416 as a barrel steel.

http://www.schuemann.com/Portals/0/D...rrel_Steel.pdf
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 05-27-17 at 11:49.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Somewhat a loaded question. All stainless can rust. Some is harder than others, some is more corrossion resistant.

For throat erosion, you should be more concerned with melting temp and other attributes, not corrosion resistance (salt spray test). Meloniting ss (iirc) increases life of the barrel, but lowers corrosion resistance.
    I thought Meloniting/nitriding increased corrosion resistance? Or is this something specific to how it affects stainless steel in particular?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nitriding increases corrosion resistance in 400 series stainless steels since they aren't very corrosion resistant in the first place. I left a stainless steel barrel in a cold trunk overnight and the condensation caused rust spots on my barrel.

Nitriding something like 17-4 stainless would actually decrease corrosion resistance.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 05-28-17 at 17:16.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stainless steel, like aluminum, forms a corrosion resistant surface by oxidizing. If cut off from the oxygen in the air, it cannot renew the oxide surface. Nitriding and other similar treatments seals the surface and cuts it off from the oxygen, thus reducing the ability of the stainless steel to oxide and protect itself from corrosion
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-28-17 at 11:06.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Stainless steel, like aluminum, forms a corrosion resistant surface by oxidizing. If cut off from the oxygen in the air, it cannot renew the oxide surface. Nitriding and other similar treatments seals the surface and cuts it off from the oxygen, thus reducing the ability of the stainless steel to oxide and protect itself from corrosion
    Interesting. So something like nitriding, which is an enhancement to corrosion resistance with most other barrel steels, can be counter-productive in that category with stainless (or some stainless). Did not know that. That's why M4C is a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for the info.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Are not most SS AR barrels 410 or 416/416R, and therefore would benefit from nitriding (for corrosion purposes)?
    Last edited by MQ105; 05-28-17 at 16:26. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    Are not most SS AR barrels 410 or 416/416R, and therefore would benefit from nitriding (for corrosion purposes)?
    You will have to elaborate on why 416 may benefit.

It's 12-14 % cr which puts it in the "not sure" category for me.

Op, stainless is softer, but tougher than other steels. SS holds up better than a non lined barrel in (iirc) every category, but not as well as Cr lined.