Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DD Mark 18 Blowback Issues

Feedback Score
    Thanks! BTW.. What do u guys think of this statement from BCM regarding SBR and reliability? They feel that 11.5 inch SBR is more optimized than 10 inch. Sorry for going off topic a bit (there are already many threads on SBR that I don't want to create another one just for this question).

Q: Why BCM chose the 11.5" SBR over the 10.5"

I get this question a lot. It is a good one. When we spec our program we can build anything we would like, so we sat down and looked at the pros and cons.

First Statement: I know a good 10.5" SBR can run very well. I personally own a semi MK18 type and it runs great. No problems.

A: Dwell time.
    Dwell time is the time that your gas operated weapon maintains pressure to continue the cycling of the weapon. It primarily exsists from the time the bullet passes the gas port in the barrel to the time the bullet exits the muzzle. When you pull the trigger and fire the weapon the movement of the bolt carrier group unlocks the bolt, extracts, and ejects the spent casing. Then it cocks the weapon, feeds, chambers the next round, and then locks again. One of the thing that can make SBRs finicky is the dwell time (or lack of).

The 11.5" carbine is approximately 4% longer weapon than its' 10.5" counterpart, but this extra inch gives the barrel a 40% increase in length for dwell time. IMHO, this is an excellent trade off. This additional dwell time (all other things being equal) will allow the carbine to be more forgiving to different ammo types, extremes in air temperature, weak or worn extractor springs, worn extractors, buffer weights, etc.

Last Statement: For those folks who have a 10.5" that works very well, I would reply; me too. (see first statement)

If I had to "go to war" with a AR15 Carbine, I would grab the BCM 11.5".

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Account View Post
    Thanks! BTW.. What do u guys think of this statement from BCM regarding SBR and reliability? They feel that 11.5 inch SBR is more optimized than 10 inch. Sorry for going off topic a bit (there are already many threads on SBR that I don't want to create another one just for this question).
    Yes, the 11.5" and 12.5" carbines have a better blend of operating parameters than the 10.5".

This should translate into a wider range of function.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have seen numerous examples of 10.3"/10.5" that don't always run (either overgassed or undergassed). 11.5" seem to be much more forgiving whether it be gassing or ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Account View Post

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234