Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 1911 9mm mags ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Best 1911 9mm mags ?

As the title says, who makes the best ? I'm grabbing a Springfield Lipsey 1911 and want to give it the best chance of runnng well. I think it comes with Chip and McCormick's, but not sure.

PB.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would definitely try the Dawson Precision 10 round mags. They are very inexpensive comparatively, but they have run very well in my 9 (flawlessly, actually!). They are made by Metalform with a custom base pad.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I'm hearing that Ken Hackathorn is exclusively running Wilson ETM-Vs and has observed no magazine-related malfunctions with them. I've run about 300 rounds through 3 of them with no magazine-related malfunctions.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I'm hearing that Ken Hackathorn is exclusively running Wilson ETM-Vs and has observed no magazine-related malfunctions with them. I've run about 300 rounds through 3 of them with no magazine-related malfunctions.
    If I remember correctly, Wilson just upgraded all of their 9mm ETM mags within the last year or so. Sadly I don't have a 9mm 1911 yet, but I'm pretty sure I remember hearing good things, especially about this new generation. I'll see if I can find it again.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Dawson/Metalform mags are the best deal out there.
    As said, they work flawlessly.
    The Metalform are cheaper than the Dawson (same mags), but have a plastic slam pad instead of the metal pad as on the Dawson.

Feedback Score
    This is somewhat of a loaded question. While there may actually be a best 9mm 1911 magazine, that magazine may or may not work with your 9mm 1911. Many consider Wilson and Tripp Cobra mags the best. I'm not debating best deal or best value, since neither Wilson nor Tripp are cheap, and that's not what the OP is asking for anyway.

I've had zero issues with the Wilson 9mm ETM magazines, but I use them in a Wilson CCP, so I wouldn't expect any compatibility issues. My suggestion is to buy one example at a time and try it in your SA Combat Op. If it works, buy more, if it doesn't, then pick something else to try. My only meaningful 1911 magazine experience has been with Wilson 9mm and 45acp mags (ETM and 47A) since they've never given me a reason to try anything else.

I know somebody with this same gun and he's put a fair share of ammo through it. He definitely has a mag preference, but I can't remember exactly what it is. I don't believe it ended up being Wilson or Tripp though, so I'll reach out to him and find out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own a Springfield Armory Range Officer 9mm and run Metalform magazines successfully.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Wilson ETM's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have had very good luck with all of the above, including Tripp as well. Only problems I ever had were with Wilson ETM coilmags on a Springfield Warren Tactical. After about 1500 rounds on a 9 # recoil spring I started to have nose diving issues. Went away with a 12# recoil spring.

In other words, you may have to play around with the overall setup on your gun to make your mag choice work with 10rd mags.

McCormicks are typically my first choice for reliability in my guns, but they can be difficult to unload when fully loaded.

Not sure how I typed "coilmags". Should have just said "mags".
    Last edited by clb; 05-28-17 at 19:30. Reason: Fixed wording

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have 10 of the Dawson mags I used for PPC, no problems but they are a bitch to download

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast