Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best 1911 9mm mags ?

Feedback Score
    I've also had good luck with Tripp mags. They will hold ten rounds and seat with the action closed. I was concerned about the short OAL of R-P ammo but the mags fed them as well as WWB.

The pistol is an STI.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    I've tried the V1 & 2 Wilson mags. Nothing to swoon over and need a break in period to reliably feed 10 rounds because of the heavy spring. Ended up finally going with the Metalform 'Springfield' style mad and haven't looked back.
    That was my experience a few years ago.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Here's my experience with a Springfield Loaded Target in 9mm using the factory Metalform 9-round magazines, Tripp 10-round Cobramags and new version Wilson ETMs. All three fully loaded mags can seat on a closed slide, but I ended up going with Wilson ETMs due to the experiences summarized below.

The Metalform mags would bulge slightly when loaded and wouldn't reliably drop free unless empty. Also, I wanted 10-rounders since I'd already installed a mag well and the 9-rounders had to be used with a basepad anyway.

The Tripp mags seemed to be made from thicker gauge steel and have stronger bodies, solving the bulging problem mentioned above. But the top round was easily pushed forward even by the friction against the bottom of the slide. This resulted in the top round being partially pushed forward when I removed the mag from a tactical reload. The partial mag wouldn't go back into a mag pouch or gun because the top round was sticking out. Sometimes a fresh, fully loaded, mag from the mag pouch would have the top found partially forward.

The Wilson mags solved the above issues but would occasionally have difficulty feeding with Springfield's stock 9-lb recoil spring. You can actually see and feel that the front ramp on the Wilson mags need more force to strip a round as compared with the Metalform and Tripp mags. Switching to an 11-lb flatwire recoil spring solved this problem.

Since the 9-lb spring had already given me return to battery issues at around 300-roundcount without cleaning/lubing, the 11-lb spring and Wilson ETM mags ended up being the right combination for me and my particular 1911 shooting factory 115gr ammo.

Feedback Score
    ive run 'em all... Tripp Cobra mags are my favs, just because they're cobra mags. most of what i use are Wilsons however.

Feedback Score
    Clint Smith uses Wilson mags...in the 'Happy Meal Mode'...that's a pretty good endorsement for me...

https://youtu.be/OXZbgENtPQ4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wilsons!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234