Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New barrel for MWS ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

New barrel for MWS ?

Hey fellas, if you were going to buy a new barrel for your MWS, and your goal was reduced gas pressure, what would be your approach.

I'm good with 16 inch barrel. But would consider shorter if I needed too.

Buy a LMT factory and have it cut down ? If so by whom? How much $$ ?
    Get a custom made barrel ? If so by whom? How much $$$?

Any help appreciated.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Hey fellas, if you were going to buy a new barrel for your MWS, and your goal was reduced gas pressure, what would be your approach.

Any help appreciated.

PB
    I would go with the LMT 18" or 20" SS cut to 16". Probably the 20" if intending to run suppressed all the time. I would use Marvin Pitts for the work.

You could also do a custom barrel with port size of your choice or adjustable gas block, and use your old barrel as the donor for the barrel extension.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    67 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

Any help appreciated.

PB
    I have a MWS barrel without barrel extension I'd sell.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Marvin Pitts is the man for MWS barrels. Cost will probably be $75 plus shipping both ways, just for the cut and thread if you choose that route. Not sure how long of a wait it is right now, but you would probably be looking at 2-3 months once you ship it.

I am waiting on a 16" barrel cut down to 14". I will be running a 7.62 Specwar on it, and possibly an Omega. We shall see how it goes.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Pappabear, if you mean reduced gas pressure to slow cycling and beating up your brass I'd go with someone like John Scandale at Keystone Accuracy in Pennsylvania. If you have an MWS barrel extension he can custom build your barrel from a blank.

If you start with a cut-rifled blank (like Knight's does in-house) the assumption is you'll gain a precision boost, you can spec your gas port size for the bullets you'll generally use, and you can spec a rifle-length gas system (or longer).

If you're going to re-do a 308 don't ask for a .298 tight-bore like the Palma shooters. They build their bolt rifles to finish at 28 to 30 inches to drive a 155-grainer around 2800-2900 fps for 1,000-, 1100-, and 1200-yard matches.

This fella cut his 20-incher to 16 to get the rifle-length gas system:

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Great info guys. Thank you. I will be doing or trying something.

Will a rifle gas system alone make that significant an improvement? Or do I also need to work on the port size.

I don't care too much about my brass. I mostly shoot reloads from my MEN 7.62 brass and it's excellent and I have a shitload. I just want a smoother gun, a bit less violent with a can.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think Knight's figured it out using a rifle-length gas system on 16- and 18-inch barrels. I replaced the mid-length barrel on my AR-10T carbine with a rifle-length and prefer it to the legacy mid system.

On the other end the DPMS AP-4 using a 7-inch 5.56mm carbine gas length is horrible.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glock21xxx View Post
    I'm interested, pm me with details.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Can you guys break down the whole , barrel and barrel extension thing. Or point me to a website with good reading on it.

I was pumping rounds out today, and the brass was flying to 1:00 and it was distracting. I think my bore might be a tad on the tight side to compound an already hot system.

PB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glock21xxx View Post
    I'd have to guess that the likelihood of finding an extension and being able to time it to the existing gas port may be problematic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast