Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire and Benchmade Pens?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Surefire and Benchmade Pens?

Anyone have experience with either of these.
    I have a son who lives in Washington DC and was thinking of getting him one.
    TIA
    jon

ToddG Guest
    I haven't played with the Surefire.

The Benchmade has a couple of flaws. First, it says BENCHMADE in huge letters on the clip so as a low-profile option it sort of sucks. Second, by design, it's a one off weapon. You pop someone with it, the shaft stays in and you no longer have a weapon. Benchmade's thought process is that they don't want the BG to remove the weapon from his own body and then turn it against you. Nonetheless, it makes the pen virtually useless in a multiple attacker situation and questionable against anyone determined enough to keep fighting after getting poked with a pen.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Benchmade product is a WAY better deal than the Surefire.

YOU can pick up Benchmade for @ $75.00.

Travel w/ it ALL the time NO issues or problems etc..

Great for PP's and JC's.

Watch em CRINGE and hear them SCREAM when applied...

Black out the BENCHMADE stamp on pocket clip w/ BLACK marker or Sight Black. Doesn't show up @ all.

BTW, there is NOT ONE shread of evidence that the TOOL cannot be used on multiple attackers, mutiple times.

The tiny barb was put there so it could not be construed by LE/TSA definition as a PUNCTURE device per se.

It does NOT get caught up in human soft tiisue, bone, other straits and mediums providied the person has a good purchase or grip.

Tested it on many types of other similar mediums. Goats, beef etc...

Not once did the pen EVER get lodged in the medium provided a good purchase/grip is realized and acheived etc.

To be fair, keep in mind you can acheive the same results w/ other pens as well.

The problem is purchase/indexing/grip/retention etc.

The Benchmade/Surefire attempt to rectify this inherant design flaw by knurling body/cap for better Tool retention upon tool impact etc.

HTH...

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPLOETHOS View Post
    BTW, ther is NOT ONE shread of evidence that the TOOL cannot be used on multiple attackers, mutiple times.
    I haven't tried impaling a vampire with one, so I'll bow to your experience. FWIW, though, Benchmade's people at SHOT'08 specifically told us it was designed purposely to be a one-use weapon.

If the cap locked onto the body somehow rather than just snapped on, I'd be much more likely to grab one.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Can't remark on the Surefire's ability as a fighting weapon but it most certainly can break glass. Additionally, it looks like a pen and nothing else. Coming from a pen collector and gun afficionado (as we all are), this was a great purchase for me since it functions as a great pen, glass breaker and weapon of last resort. It was designed to operate with virtually any and all ink refills from any manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When wondering about multiple strikes, take the pen to your local meat locker, or roadkill depository, and perform tissue testing. Easily and inexpensively done. Informative.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OK, I am holding a 30 year old Mount Blanc in my hand. The tip feels sharp and nasty. I don't know if the tip would break off with any contact but I would sure hate to get stabbed with it.

Are the Surefire and Benchmade pens meant to be used with the tips covered?

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Deleted.
    Last edited by NoBody; 05-04-09 at 05:40.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Talking

Performed testing yesterday on BERT, ERNIE and Barney stuffed figures.

Did not lose pen or cap into medium, Pen tip did not brake off.

Pen still writes and perfoms flawlessly....;-{)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As someone who once actually stabbed someone with a pencil, I haven't quite figured out what the need is for a dedicated (expensive) stabbing pen.

Yes, the pencil broke off in my case, but I would think that any sturdy pen from Office Depot would be good for at least one or two puncture wounds, and probably way more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast