Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Off hand challenge

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Precisely.
    When you can consistently make "A/C" hits at 50 yds, "A" hits at 15 yds seems business as usual.

It is common to have the guys want to practice close range, low difficulty, speed drills.
    Why would you "practice" something you already own?

Work on the stuff you suck at.
    Very good points. I do dot drills for a warmup almost every range trip. I found that after a reload, I was rushing my shots. This continued every time I went to perform a reload outside of dot drills as well, but because I caught it during the dot I make it a point to really work on it every range trip.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I usually devote the first 50 rounds of any session to slow fire accuracy intensive work. Start at 10 yards then make stops at 15, 25, 35, and 50.

I find it more productive to start with the accuracy work, than do it after other drills. Serves as a nice warmup and seems to get my "mind" right for staying tighter on the speed oriented stuff too.

Feedback Score
    So here is my contribution.... I don't know if this is good or bad. I used Blazer Aluminum 115g out of my M&P 2.0, everything OEM. Each target is 25 rounds. They all felt pretty good but I obviously pulled a couple, especially on the right target. Ah well, so it is....

Feedback Score
    100 rounds at about 20 yards. This is by no means representative of my shooting ability. For whatever reason things lined up just right and I put this together. Open that up about 3 times the size and that's what a normal group with my G19 would be and usually double that target for a 1911. Just about any gun is going to be more accurate than I can shoot it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    So did we decide that we are using our off-hand, or just dominant hand 25 yard shoot?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The accepted definition of "off-hand shooting" in my neck of the woods is; shooting from standing position, no artificial supports or rests, "freestyle" (use of both hands permitted).
    Strong hand only= dominant hand only.
    Weak hand/support hand only+=left hand only for right hand shooters.

A drill I favor;
    Place USPSA target at 25 yds.
    Load 5, 10 rd. magazines (9mm 1911 "range gun")
    Shoot all 50 rds "freestyle", keeping all 50 inside the "A" zone. Rate of fire dictated by sight picture (in other words, shoot as rapidly as FS is reacquired on target).

If you pull a shot outside of A zone, tape target and start over.
    Shoot until you have placed 50 consecutive rds. in A zone.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The accepted definition of "off-hand shooting" in my neck of the woods is; shooting from standing position, no artificial supports or rests, "freestyle" (use of both hands permitted).
    Strong hand only= dominant hand only.
    Weak hand/support hand only+=left hand only for right hand shooters.

A drill I favor;
    Place USPSA target at 25 yds.
    Load 5, 10 rd. magazines (9mm 1911 "range gun")
    Shoot all 50 rds "freestyle", keeping all 50 inside the "A" zone. Rate of fire dictated by sight picture (in other words, shoot as rapidly as FS is reacquired on target).

If you pull a shot outside of A zone, tape target and start over.
    Shoot until you have placed 50 consecutive rds. in A zone.
    SOunds like an excellent drill. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Figured I would necromance this thread since I posted some photos and tips for megademic in another thread.

25 yards HK VP9 offhand free style. First series shot with 124gr American Eagle ball ammo.

Next target is 20 rounds worth of a hand load using a 115gr Hornady HAP over Hodgdon CFE Pistol in mixed brass with a CCI small pistol primer. Prints a bit to the left, probably buy a batch of 124gr HAP's next time since this pistol favors them.

This style of target is not ideal for pistol target shooting but it's what I had on hand without hitting a store to buy something else.

Feedback Score
    Shot one of my best 25yd groups with a shield, dropped 1 shot.

Feedback Score
    Pretty respectable for a sub compact pistol. Especially if the trigger is stock.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast