Thread: On barrel wear...

Feedback Score

On barrel wear...

The following is quoted from the current edition of Remington's "Liveready" magazine (essentially a Remington promo/publicity magazine), from an article on the M40A6:

"There are many variables to barrel life in a bolt-action .308 Winchester, but a conservative number of rounds any one barrel can support is probably right around 7,000 to 9,000. An average 6.5mm short action cartridge might get 3,000 rounds, and a 6mm might get as many as 2,000 rounds."

Is this accurate? Are the smaller calibers really that hard on bores?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't think it's the caliber so much as it's the amount of gas the cartridge produces.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I don't think it's the caliber so much as it's the amount of gas the cartridge produces.
    This.

Plus, the more powder fired, the faster the erosion. The lead and rifling just in front of the chamber is what goes first.

Feedback Score
    The heat and pressure wears the throat faster. But that's consistent if we're talking similar parent case. So expect less life from a .243 compared to a .308, .25/06 < .30/06, 6mm Creedmoor < 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Not necessarily a function of just the bore size, such as 6 Dasher is supposed to have a longer life than 6 CM.

It also depends on your definition of accuracy. The life for benchrest is different from PRS or hunters.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I don't think there is a "one size" fits all here. Just as some of the above posts point out, there are a number variables that affect barrel wear.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.