View Poll Results: Ambi Controls - Really Needed?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • RH - No - they are not needed

21 32.81%
  • LH - No - wont be on battlefield pick up

5 7.81%
  • RH - Yes - safety only

10 15.63%
  • LH - Yes - safety only

7 10.94%
  • RH - Yes - safety and mag catch/release

3 4.69%
  • LH - Yes - safety and mag catch/release

12 18.75%
  • RH - Yes - safety, mag catch and bolt release

2 3.13%
  • RH - Yes - safety, mag catch and bolt release

4 6.25%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ambi Controls Are They Really Needed?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I say not necessarily. My rationale being that in a no shit bad situation I need to be able to run whatever random stick I may pick up if for some reason I don't have my own. I see value being proficient in the most basic configuration.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I voted RH, safety and mag catch/release. I use the charging handle to load and reload, and the bolt catch only to lock the BCG back, not to release it.

I'd been shooting ARs with standard factory controls like everyone else, I was on board fairly early on, before ambidextrous controls slowly became mainstream and more accepted as components not solely for lefties.

My course instructors almost always trained us to shoot from our weak side. It took a toll on my efficiency to shoot from my weak side, because I did so infrequently. Training helped, but even in training, we only practiced shooting from our weak side less than 10% of the course.

I can make do with an out of the box factory AR with controls last updated in the 80s, but since I get to customize mine the way I use it, it has everything I actually use, and nothing I don't.

Like JulyAZ, I was already proficient with an AR with standard controls before I put ambi controls on mine. To me, it's a matter of practicality and efficiency, and using the tools I have access to.

Some of you might have noted that the person (yours truly) involved in ambi selectors (my old company), lefty friendly forward assist, bolt catch, and ambi mag release, and advocates ambidextrous controls is a right hand shooter
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    As a left handed shooter, for me, an ambi safety is a must. I am very comfortable with the standard bolt catch, and mag release.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think it's presumptuous for a right hander to say no. I've been a left handed shooter my whole life so know work arounds for a lot more than shooting. On the military side it wasn't as big a deal for the type units I was in but for the LEO and especially SWAT it was a bigger deal to remain competitive. When I went to Iraq and Afghanistan the Navy installed an ambi safety for me and I took an ambi mag release both times. I could run the AR system pretty well but it's almost impossible to complete mag changes with one hand as fast as someone who is able to use 2 hands, not to mention the the dexterity needed. Yes, I can and did learn but it's just not the same so why handicap yourself when there is no longer the need?
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd agree. If I was issed one to use, I'd add these non-permanent components to it to suit my needs, unless it's prohibited to do so. Since I'm not either LE nor military, I have all the freedom to do with it as I wish. I realize this isn't the OP's point, it's whether they're necessary.

Not necessary, but for some (if not many), highly helpful.

As to having to pick up and use a long or short firearm that doesn't belong to me, I've considered that. Train and be proficient with the standard controls, if this should ever take place, I'm already familiar with it. For less than 10% of the time when I shoot left handed, I'm faster with ambi controls on my AR than if I have to make do without them, but I'm no slower than anyone else similarly handicapped. I just choose not to be handicapped by early 80s controls.

A backup camera in a car doesn't replace the driver's looking over his shoulders when he reverses. A lane change assist doesn't replace the driver having to check his blind spot. Ambidextrous controls don't replace proficiency in the basic manual of arms of the weapon.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    'Battlefield pickup' imo is the worst excuse not to install ambi parts, especially when they enhance the manipulation of your rifle.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 05-28-17 at 22:59.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think it's more a matter of practice over gear. I've been shooting 'right-handed' AR's and bolt guns for too long, a left-handed bolt action or ambi controls would just trip me up at this point. I am a big fan of BAD levers on AR's, though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not needed, but nice to have.

Its all a matter of training. I'm RH, but also shoot LH sometimes. You just need to train yourself in the most common way you shoot, or make adjustments as needed.

For a RH person (which is like 90% of the population), the standard AR15 config works just fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you like them use them. They are in no way really needed. I think of it in pistol terms. Is a grip safety or thumb safety much less an ambi one needed? What about different mag releases such as on a sig, Euro/heel vs thumb? All of these options are fine depending on what you like and train with. I enjoy many types of firearms with various manual of arms but for self defense I prefer simplicity. Simplicity to me dictates the simplest methods of operation thus I choose glocks and standard AR setups for SD. One less button, lever to accidentally push, snag, catch etc when my motor skills are operating at their lowest level of performance. To play a beautiful song play a trumpet to play a single note while being shot at play a bugle. Three fewer fingers involved. Now if I were a LH I would feel different.

Feedback Score
    I have no issues with anything that adds to the functionality as long as it stays reliable. I tried the BAD lever when they first came out and quickly removed them. For some reason it wouldn't run right with one upper I had, kept hanging the bolt up. I decided then to keep things that worked on everything I had and now all my rifles have the same controls, mostly standard.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast