Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle butt not in the shoulder while shooting?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Rifle butt not in the shoulder while shooting?

Can someone explain the benefit of firing a rifle with your cheek on a pistol butt stock, but the butt of the rifle not braced against your shoulder?

I'm just researching (watching youtube vids), so I see this guy fire a BCM 300 blk like this and the rifle is all over the place.

Is this common for SBR's, why?
    Last edited by hdrolling; 05-28-17 at 18:10.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For awhile, it was considered illegal to shoulder the arm brace of a pistol. I know of no advantage to just cheeking an AR over shouldering it
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some folks believe that if you shoulder the pistol stock rather than cheek-welding it you may be violating the law.

My stamp came in several months ago, so I'm not versed on what the final disposition is, this was where it stood as far as I know:

SB Tactical shared a new determination letter Tuesday that had been issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to clarify any confusion regarding shouldering the company’s “stabilizing brace.”

Shouldering a firearm equipped with a barrel less than 16 inches and an arm brace would make it an unregistered National Firearm Act item, ATF says in the letter dated March 21, adding that it continues to “stand by those conclusions.”

But “incidental, sporadic, or situational” use of a firearm equipped with an arm brace “in its original approved configuration” at or near the shoulder would not constitute a redesign nor make it an NFA item, ATF says.

Long story short, it aeems to me that you wouldn't want to post youtube videos of yourself using an AR pistol shouldered.

Someone else probably knows more, there was a lot of controversy over the various ATF letters.

Feedback Score
    Last week I was talking to a friend that was in the Marines, and he was describing firing a rifle with the butt stock over the shoulder while in the service. He said someone had shown him the technique and he preferred it. But I think it was more out of necessity due to all the gear he had on, and his vest in particular. He's not a very tall guy and so doesn't have the longest arms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks everyone, I didn't realize AR pistols didn't need a tax stamp. I figured it was still a SBR and needed one so I haven't started researching them yet.

I'm guessing this is a popular route to go if someone is waiting on a tax stamp, keep a pistol lower around to slap the SPR upper on while waiting? I just assumed buying a short barrel meant it had to stay at the dealer like a suppressor, is that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    Last week I was talking to a friend that was in the Marines, and he was describing firing a rifle with the butt stock over the shoulder while in the service. He said someone had shown him the technique and he preferred it. But I think it was more out of necessity due to all the gear he had on, and his vest in particular. He's not a very tall guy and so doesn't have the longest arms.
    Learning to fire with all the body Armour on is a practiced skill, and whats worse is the military keeps changing the gear. I remember in 04-05 heading into Afgan and Iraq with these crazy shoulder pads that were a huge pain. I have pics of me in mine on a hard drive somewhere.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Your post doesn't make much sense.

An AR pistol is just that- a pistol. There are no restrictions on short barrels, or short uppers. Many people have been known to build an AR pistol first until their stamp arrives, and then replace the stock with a standard type collapsible stock.
    What you said is kinda what I meant, just forgot how easy it is to replace the buffer tube from a pistol to a collapsible. No reason to build a separate complete lower.

I'm still learning .... and I tend to have couple more drinks than normal during this time of the year.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Your post doesn't make much sense.

An AR pistol is just that- a pistol. There are no restrictions on short barrels, or short uppers. Many people have been known to build an AR pistol first until their stamp arrives, and then replace the stock with a standard type collapsible stock.

Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    Thanks everyone, I didn't realize AR pistols didn't need a tax stamp. I figured it was still a SBR and needed one so I haven't started researching them yet.

I'm guessing this is a popular route to go if someone is waiting on a tax stamp, keep a pistol lower around to slap the SPR upper on while waiting? I just assumed buying a short barrel meant it had to stay at the dealer like a suppressor, is that not the case?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    What you said is kinda what I meant, just forgot how easy it is to replace the buffer tube from a pistol to a collapsible. No reason to build a separate complete lower.

I'm still learning .... and I tend to have couple more drinks than normal during this time of the year.
    You need to follow a kind of weird route when building a pistol.

You cant start with a rifle and put a pistol tube on it, the receiver you use has to have been made as a pistol, or a bare receiver you are configuring.

When you buy a receiver the ATF form 4473, block 16 should be marked OTHER FIREARM and you can legally make it a pistol.

Once you it put together as a pistol you can make it a rifle (barrel over 16 inches, overall length 26) and convert it back to a pistol, but you can not legally convert a receiver/rifle that was marked LONG GUN in block 16 to a pistol. Weird, huh?

Read this: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ru...stols/download

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Weird, huh?
    Gay-as-fukk BS is what I think you meant.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Gay-as-fukk BS is what I think you meant.
    Pretty much.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    Not uncommon at all when clearing buildings with a rifle (M16/ M16A1/ M16A2/ M16A4 etc). We used to do it all the time.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast