Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rifle butt not in the shoulder while shooting?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Not uncommon at all when clearing buildings with a rifle (M16/ M16A1/ M16A2/ M16A4 etc). We used to do it all the time.
    Yes, you reminded me. He was talking about clearing buildings.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So if I have this straight.

If I want to build an SBR, first I need to buy a stripped lower and on the ATF form 4473, block 16 I'll mark OTHER FIREARM so in the meantime I'll be able to keep it as a pistol.

After I have the lower I then turn in the tax form for an SBR and wait for the approval, and as long as I have a pistol tube on the lower I'm good to own and use a sub 16" AR.

I'll start reading up more because I'm sure all this has been asked before but having just learned this I believe this is the route I want to go for my first build.

I'm going to head to the shop in the morning and look over the KAC and Noveske GEN III stripped lowers.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    hd - I think you are on the right track. I would make sure that I had enough rounds on the pistol receiver to be sure it functioned reliably before filing a Form 1 to SBR the pistol. Should not be a problem with the manufacturers you are listing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    YOU do not mark "RIFLE" or "PISTOL" or "OTHER" on the Form 4473. The counter clerk does. By law, a receiver alone must be marked as "OTHER" on the Form 4473, unless local law dictates otherwise.

You don't need to install a pistol RE on a pistol AR. You can also use a carbine or rifle RE. You just cannot install a stock on the RE. It is legal to buy a lower with a rifle stock installed and remove the stock before configuring it as a pistol. Just be sure you do not configure it as a rifle first.

As cheap as lowers are, you might think about getting two. Build one as a dedicated pistol and SBR the other.

For a dedicated pistol, I suggest getting the VLTOR A5 pistol RE assembly and the newer design Sig arm brace
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-29-17 at 12:43.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    YOU do not mark "RIFLE" or "PISTOL" or "OTHER" on the Form 4473. The counter clerk does. By law, a receiver alone must be marked as "OTHER" on the Form 4473, unless local law dictates otherwise.

You don't need to install a pistol RE on a pistol AR. You can also use a carbine or rifle RE. You just cannot install a stock on the RE. It is legal to buy a lower with a rifle stock installed and remove the stock before configuring it as a pistol. Just be sure you do not configure it as a rifle first.

As cheap as lowers are, you might think about getting two. Build one as a dedicated pistol and SBR the other.

For a dedicated pistol, I suggest getting the VLTOR A5 pistol RE assembly and the newer design Sig arm brace
    I believe I'm grasping most of what your saying, but I don't "want" an AR pistol to have. I want an SPR but don't want it locked up for months while I'm waiting for a stamp, so buying the lower and having it listed as a pistol is just to get it built and to be able to keep it at home and use at the range. Meanwhile I'll submit the SPR form and when it comes in I'll remove the pistol buffer tube and install an A5 adjustable.
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Not uncommon at all when clearing buildings with a rifle (M16/ M16A1/ M16A2/ M16A4 etc). We used to do it all the time.
    I remember doing that, not sure or not if that's currently trained for on the 20" guns. It was some time ago...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    ...I don't "want" an AR pistol to have...
    Heh! You say that now...
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    so buying the lower and having it listed as a pistol is just to get it built and to be able to keep it at home and use at the range.
    Yes, but as several have explained 4473 block 16 is supposed to be marked OTHER FIREARM. Make sure the local gun shop guy does that. Do not let them mark HANDGUN or LONG GUN. If they give you any guff, and they shouldn't, these instructions pretty clearly explain that ANY receiver should be marked as OTHER FIREARM. They are printed on the form:

Question 16. Type of Firearm(s): "Other" refers to frames, receivers and other firearms that are neither handguns nor long guns (rifles or shotguns), such as firearms having a pistol grip that expel a shotgun shell, or National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms, including silencers.

If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun. However, frames and receivers are still "firearms" by definition, and subject to the same GCA limitations as any other firearms. See Section 921(a)(3)(B).

Section 922(b)(1) makes it unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any person under the age of 21. Since a frame or receiver for a firearm, to include one that can only be
    made into a long gun, is a "firearm other than a shotgun or rifle," it cannot be transferred to anyone under the age of 21, nor can these firearms be transferred to anyone who is not a resident of the State where the transfer is to take place. Also, note that multiple sales forms are not required for frames or receivers of any firearms, or pistol grip shotguns, since they are not "pistols or revolvers" under
    Section 923(g)(3)(A).
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-29-17 at 18:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Yes, but as several have explained 4473 block 16 is supposed to be marked OTHER FIREARM. Make sure the local gun shop guy does that. Do not let them mark HANDGUN or LONG GUN. If they give you any guff, and they shouldn't, these instructions pretty clearly explain that ANY receiver should be marked as OTHER FIREARM. They are printed on the form:

Question 16. Type of Firearm(s): "Other" refers to frames, receivers and other firearms that are neither handguns nor long guns (rifles or shotguns), such as firearms having a pistol grip that expel a shotgun shell, or National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms, including silencers.

If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun. However, frames and receivers are still "firearms" by definition, and subject to the same GCA limitations as any other firearms. See Section 921(a)(3)(B).

Section 922(b)(1) makes it unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any person under the age of 21. Since a frame or receiver for a firearm, to include one that can only be
    made into a long gun, is a "firearm other than a shotgun or rifle," it cannot be transferred to anyone under the age of 21, nor can these firearms be transferred to anyone who is not a resident of the State where the transfer is to take place. Also, note that multiple sales forms are not required for frames or receivers of any firearms, or pistol grip shotguns, since they are not "pistols or revolvers" under
    Section 923(g)(3)(A).
    Great, thanks. Its a lot to take in trying to read through all the NFA guidelines for the first time, this really helps narrow down just what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Heh! You say that now...
    We'll see, for now I'm thinking a 300 BLK SBR starting off as a pistol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12