Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Huuuge groups today, what's going on?

Feedback Score
    How many rounds on this barrel again?

Hate to say it, but if it’s been cleaned to the point patches show no copper or carbon and it’s still not shooting then it’s probably had the throat shot out of it.

I’m guessing lots of work at the 15 yard line means lots of rapid fire? If so, the barrel probably got hot enough often enough to erode the throat earlier than expected.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Just shy of 5k, I have to check exactly. It was a good amount of rapid fire but I never expected it to be anywhere near enough to erode it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Just shy of 5k, I have to check exactly. It was a good amount of rapid fire but I never expected it to be anywhere near enough to erode it.

Any chance you could post a couple pics of the throat?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    You mentioned it was key holing at 100 yards? I had the same issue with a 16 inch noveske chrome lined barrel. Thing would key hole @ 100 & wouldn't group very well. Contacted noveske & they replaced it. Round count was also @ 5k. Never had less than excellent results with black hills ammo in any barrel I've tried. I'd contact noveske if you haven't already

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by greene View Post
    You mentioned it was key holing at 100 yards? I had the same issue with a 16 inch noveske chrome lined barrel. Thing would key hole @ 100 & wouldn't group very well. Contacted noveske & they replaced it. Round count was also @ 5k. Never had less than excellent results with black hills ammo in any barrel I've tried. I'd contact noveske if you haven't already
    I had a noveske gun with 5k or so down it, some of which during high round count vtac courses. It was fine. If your barrel really is shot out, it's either defective, and should be replaced as this one was, or you're misrepresenting use or round counts, which I do not conceive is the issue. At this point, I'd just send it in to noveske. Their CS should handle it. They aren't innovators anymore, and Taran hires more tits, so CS is where noveske had better bring their A game.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Maybe I missed it, but what type of Noveske barrel is this and when was it made?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Huuuge groups today, what's going on?

The ammo it keyholed with was Freedom Reman and I had some other issues with it so I always attributed that to just shitty ammo. I don’t know if it’s possible that one of those rounds damaged the rifling somehow? I just reached out to Noveske, I hadn’t already because I wasn’t sure they’d do anything since I’ve changed so much if the factory gun. I’ll let you guys know what they say. It was their collab gun with OAF, it’s one of their 14.5” light barrels and was a limited release about two years ago.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Even if you can't actually manage to get a picture of the throat, I think just eyeballing it would tell you a lot.

Just compare it to a known good barrel and you should be able to tell if the lands are still crisp comparatively. Please let us know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    LOL! 5K? Are you kidding me? I'd NEVER expect a barrel to be accurate at 5K rounds. If you get more than 5,000 rounds out of a cut rifled barrel, consider every round a gift!

Not that it doesn't happen, but it is beyond expectation.
    More than 4,000 out of a button rifled barrel is a gift too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloLarry View Post
    LOL! 5K? Are you kidding me? I'd NEVER expect a barrel to be accurate at 5K rounds. If you get more than 5,000 rounds out of a cut rifled barrel, consider every round a gift!

Not that it doesn't happen, but it is beyond expectation.
    More than 4,000 out of a button rifled barrel is a gift too.
    It may not be MOA after 5k rounds, but I definitely think it strange that it shoots 7 MOA...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast