Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Huuuge groups today, what's going on?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I can still faintly see the same imperfections in the chamber, they must have trapped carbon fouling. I still suspect a bad chrome lining is flaking out of the bore, and has manifested a bit in the chamber. However I’m no metallurgist so I’m making a guess.

For comparison here is the chamber on a brand new KAC SR-15 chrome lined barrel.

Yeah my BCM is significantly better looking, at least down the barrel. Makes me feel better that maybe there is an issue and that the excess copper fouling is a byproduct of it. I should be sending it off to Noveske on Thursday or Friday. Thanks for all of the help.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Good luck man, hope they make it right for you.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Huuuge groups today, what's going on?

Upper arrived at Noveske on Monday and they emailed me today (Tuesday). The chrome lining was indeed flaking off, presumably due to a manufacturer defect, so they replaced the barrel for me. They were also able to save the WarComp that was pinned on it, which is awesome since I wasn’t sure it would happen. Unfortunately, unless they send it second day air and it shows up before this weekend, I won’t be able to shoot it until August, maybe even September or October. I’ll group it with the same setup as before, and assuming it groups well, I’m happy with their CS. Thanks for all of the help guys.

One thing I will definitely make a better effort of doing is a more robust grouping procedure to check how the gun shoots. It bothers me to not know when this started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Got lucky and received the upper back yesterday. I had to RSO this morning so by the time I got to shoot, I was pretty burnt and it was hot. So I didn’t take my time like I should have. That being said I’m completely confident in this thing now. Below is the zero target from 50m. I did shoot this with the 77gr stuff so it could’ve been better. But I was hitting pop ups at distance so easily that it has to be pretty accurate. The 600m double e-type silhouette was the only hard target because the scope ran out of stadia. 200-500 didn’t take much effort at all.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Wake, are those 50 yard groups and what size groups are they ? or would you estimate?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Wake, are those 50 yard groups and what size groups are they ? or would you estimate?

PB
    The top one is 1.5”, the lower two are both right at 1”. It was shot at 50m though so not where I’d like for the ammo, but I have to work to get small groups and don’t know that I really did. Immediately afterward, I moved it back and got a 3” five round group at 100m with PMC Bronze (top left of the paper). Four were within 2.5”, but I must’ve pulled the last one a little. Ignore the bottom five rounds, that was with the 68 gr Black Hills but I really couldn’t distinguish any other part of the target to aim at so it was a terrible POA.

Last edited by Wake27; 07-01-18 at 03:41.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Did they say what the problem was?

EDIT: Oops! Just read the preceding post. Doh! Glad you got it fixed!
    Last edited by georgeib; 07-01-18 at 06:27.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Glad you got your gun up and running. I took out my Noveske 16 inches after a big time decopper fest. It shot 77's MOA at 100 yards. Nothing earth shattering but acceptable. It was all over the board before so I believe it needed the copper removal. I wished it shot better, but it's good enough. More testing next week.

This is the same and only barrel that shoots our 62grain BTHP about 6 inches higher and 2 inches left. Most of our guns shoot the 62 and 77 close to each other in groups.

It took about 20 rounds to settle in. It ended up dropping a couple inches and settling.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-02-18 at 14:59.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Glad you got your gun up and running. I took out my Noveske 16 inches after a big time decopper fest. It shot 77's MOA at 100 yards. Nothing earth shattering but acceptable. It was all over the board before so I believe it needed the copper removal. I wished it shot better, but it's good enough. More testing next week.

This is the same and only barrel that shoots our 62grain BTHP about 6 inches higher and 2 inches left. Most of our guns shoot the 62 and 77 close to each other in groups.

It took about 20 rounds to settle in. It ended up dropping a couple inches and settling.

PB
    Stainless or CL?

I’ve got a class in two weeks. I’ll see if one of the instructors can group at 50+ to compare it to what I did. They’re very good shooters so I’d hope they can get it to MOA. Those were also the first rounds out of that barrel so I’m sure there’s some type of “barrel break in” argument that could be made.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Upper arrived at Noveske on Monday and they emailed me today (Tuesday). The chrome lining was indeed flaking off, presumably due to a manufacturer defect, so they replaced the barrel for me. They were also able to save the WarComp that was pinned on it, which is awesome since I wasn’t sure it would happen. Unfortunately, unless they send it second day air and it shows up before this weekend, I won’t be able to shoot it until August, maybe even September or October. I’ll group it with the same setup as before, and assuming it groups well, I’m happy with their CS. Thanks for all of the help guys.

One thing I will definitely make a better effort of doing is a more robust grouping procedure to check how the gun shoots. It bothers me to not know when this started.

Thats pretty f***ed that their QC didnt catch that and that it took thousands of rounds to manifest. At the rate some people shoot, they'll never know they have a defective barrel.

What time frame did you purchase the barrel? Did it have a date stamp on it?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast