Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Huuuge groups today, what's going on?

Feedback Score
    With my rifles it has varied from barrel to barrel, but eventually at some point with every barrel I will need to remove at least some of the copper fouling to bring back the performance. I don't worry anymore about removing all the copper. I simply spend some time with a dedicated copper solvent and remove most of the copper.

FYI, if it is the copper causing problems you will need to let the solvent do most of the work. The patch is just the delivery system. Bore snakes don't really do anything at all for copper removal.

Feedback Score
    ^ This. Just keep wet patching it with copper solvent so you have a good supply of fresh non copper saturated solvent in contact with the bore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Is it typical to need to remove copper every few thousand rounds? This has me thinking about rifles I own that are approaching the same round count as the OP.
    Every barrel is a law unto itself, it will let you know when it absolutely must be cleaned.

Alternatively you could pick an interval to do a more thorough cleaning of the barrel. Maybe do it once each time you finish a case of ammo. I don’t think that is over cleaning at all, and you will keep copper levels manageable to where maintaining the bore is easy.

Or shoot ammo that uses a powder with a copper fouling eraser. I mainly shoot my own reloads and load with CFE 223. Barrel basically gets only a tiny tiny fraction of the copper fouling older non copper fouling eraser powders would give me before. From here on out a powder that has this additive is about all I want to use. Plus is meters extremely well and has given very solid precision/consistency.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 04-01-18 at 17:41.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I’m sure the ammo I’ve been using doesn’t help. I think UMC might almost be steel case level of quality. And at least 1k was Freedom reman which, as I said earlier, had at least three rounds keyholing at 100m. I can’t wait to get back to the mainland where I can easily find quality rounds in bulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Is copper fouling visible? I finally looked down both of my barrels side by side, and the Noveske is a mess. Tons of little particles that I'd seen before but I really didn't consider how much junk was in the barrel until I looked at the BCM immediately after. I spent the last hour with a Dewey rod, patches, a bore guide, a bore brush, and the Lucas copper eliminator and I feel like I barely made a dent on the visible fouling in the barrel. Now I'm wondering if I should've gone with a stronger solvent as was suggested. Is that fouling really that stubborn or am I somehow messing up a very simple process?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Copper fouling will either show up as copper colored streaks on the bore, if fresh, or as green streaks on the bore if oxidized.

Probably be hard to see unless you pull your muzzle device and look at the muzzle.

If your patches are still coming out blue/green you still have copper in the bore. It takes awhile even for very strong solvents to remove all of it.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Copper fouling will either show up as copper colored streaks on the bore, if fresh, or as green streaks on the bore if oxidized.

Probably be hard to see unless you pull your muzzle device and look at the muzzle.

If your patches are still coming out blue/green you still have copper in the bore. It takes awhile even for very strong solvents to remove all of it.
    They weren’t coming out blue or green at all, they were mostly clean with little specs of black, I assume from carbon.

ETA - I have some Bore Tech on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 04-22-18 at 12:31.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Ditch the Lucas stuff. It should be coming out blue like liquid laundry detergent.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I searched online for Lucas Copper Eliminator, but found nothing.

Hoppe's Bench Rest is mild enough that you can leave it in the barrel for an hour or more...letting it do the work. After an hour, if there's copper in the bore, you'll know it on the first patch. Run a couple dry patches through it followed by a wet one, then wait an hour or two. No scrubbing is required.

Sweets 7.62 works well, but I'm not a fan of the ammonia smell, and it's pretty aggressive so don't leave it in your bore for more than a few minutes.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I've heard good things about their lube and Jerry Miculek used the solvent in a cleaning video so I assumed it had to be ok, but mostly it was the only thing in stock at the time. I have some Bore Tech on the way, found a lot more about that stuff online so hopefully it helps. Also been doing more searching on YouTube and some of the PRS videos indicated that it can in fact, take a number of passes and some soak time.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast