Thread: going moose hunting in BC

Feedback Score

going moose hunting in BC

So, I was fortunate to come into a little extra money and decided it best be spent on a moose hunt in BC. I am in Arkansas and will be driving up. The outfitter is based just outside of Prince George area. http://www.opatcholakeoutfitters.com/moosehunting.htm

Done a lot of research, asked a lot questions, and feel this will be a good fit. Looking for a good, hard working wilderness hunt with a chance at a 40+" bull. All in all, I think what this outfitter offers fills that need.

I have been reading about preparing for canada hunt and that was very valuable read. Any information, experiences, things to look for anyone wants to share? Anything about the drive? I plan to put a freezer in the back of my truck with my honda generator to haul back the meat.

Thanks in advance
    Adam

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine was talking to me today about hunting in Canada. He very often does so and brings his rifles up. I asked him if my AR10 would be good to go there and he didn't know. Upon some research it seems good to go but I will need their PAL card. Anyone done this?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The drive to Prince George will be a piece of cake. All the roads leading to it are good. I'm not sure what route you are planning to drive, but the routes through Jasper or Banff are visually spectacular. The freezer and generator are a good idea. We do that a lot up here in Alaska. Just be aware that if you have had a DUI in the U.S. you very likely will not be able to drive into Canada without going through a lengthy process.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    A friend of mine was talking to me today about hunting in Canada. He very often does so and brings his rifles up. I asked him if my AR10 would be good to go there and he didn't know. Upon some research it seems good to go but I will need their PAL card. Anyone done this?
    You don't need the PAL card if you are going to be there for less than 60 days. You can use their RCMP 5589 non-resident firearm declaration. If your AR-10 has a barrel longer than 18.5" you should be good to go. Check with the Province you are headed to because they may not allow it for hunting.

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine went to BC on a moose hunt back in 03 or 04. He used a Win. M70 300 WSM. He shot a average size moose at 280 yds. I haven't talked to him in a while. He flew there and back. Don't know his outfitter, he had a great time though.

Good luck, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.