Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Colt LE 6920 for 73yr amputee ex-marine (questions)

Feedback Score

Moving to Colt LE 6920 for 73yr amputee ex-marine (questions)

So my father is a Vietnam vet. Loved his M14. We decided to get him a Savage Hog Hunter model 11 in .308. Well, we didn't realize that he has a few problems when firing the weapon in his current condition. He is mentally still a youngen, he is mentally still a marine, but since he had his leg amputated (agent orange related diabetes), he uses a walker to get around and for balance. The .308's recoil is too much for him standing. It's dangerous. And he also has lost dexterity in his right hand. I won't go into detail, but it is hard for him to work the bolt action smoothly.

I'm thinking (with his permission, of course) of trading in the Savage for a Colt LE 6920 or 6721. Recoil should be manageable and he doesn't have to worry about working a bolt.
    He really likes the heavy barrel on the 6721 for the sole fact that they don't heat up as fast. But I wonder if the weight might be more manageable for him on the 6920. He does not want anything thinner in the barrel than the 6920.

I've got a couple questions for y'all:
    1) Is the weight difference that much between the two rifles?
    2) How many rounds/mags can you put through the 6920 before it starts to get too hot to fire?

Thanks! And I hope everyone takes a moment to appreciate the fallen and the sacrifices of our service men and women on this Memorial Day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1) 6.29 vs. 7.3
    2) It's not really how many but how fast. In semi auto, resting/reloading between magazines, neither will get hot enough to require having to wait. Neither are light machines

The HBAR gets little/no love in this forum even though it is an excellent carbine so expect a lot of 6920 recommendations.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How about something he might be able to relate to more?:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/650270619

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    How about one of the enhanced profile barrels that are thicker at the chamber and taper down at the muzzle? I think BCM, Daniel Defense, and Faxon offer those and that might give a the best of both worlds of heavy where it counts a bit more, but better balance for him.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    If he liked the M14 get him to look at a Mini 14. The wood stocked ranch rifle might turn his crank!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If he liked the M14 get him to look at a Mini 14. The wood stocked ranch rifle might turn his crank!
    Just don't get the mini 30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think a light AR will suit your father's medical conditions better than a heavy one. A muzzle heavy AR will likely be more difficult for him to hold up. In one test, it took roughly 400 rounds of constant full auto fire in an M4 with a standard M4 barrel to cause it to fail.

I would suggest to your father that he get the lightweight 6720, or even go SBR with the 6933. The 6920, 6720 and 6933 are all more than capable of handling the heat generated during an afternoon of shooting, or clearing a field of vermin

(PS- I wouldn't let your father know that you called him an "ex" Marine )
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-29-17 at 13:02.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Yeah, he would head-slap me for the ex-marine remark. lol

On a whim, I took him down to the local gun shop this morning and they happened to have a LE6920 in stock. He liked it. We made the trade, I paid the difference. He's a happy camper. Hope to get some range time with him and the rifle this week. I honestly didn't expect to make a deal today when we went, otherwise I wouldn't have posted the question here. But it worked it pretty dang good in the end. Thank for the replies!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get him 6933 upper man. He will like that more for most uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Happy he got something he likes. I hope he has a blast with it

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daniel87; 05-30-17 at 00:42.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast