So my father is a Vietnam vet. Loved his M14. We decided to get him a Savage Hog Hunter model 11 in .308. Well, we didn't realize that he has a few problems when firing the weapon in his current condition. He is mentally still a youngen, he is mentally still a marine, but since he had his leg amputated (agent orange related diabetes), he uses a walker to get around and for balance. The .308's recoil is too much for him standing. It's dangerous. And he also has lost dexterity in his right hand. I won't go into detail, but it is hard for him to work the bolt action smoothly.

I'm thinking (with his permission, of course) of trading in the Savage for a Colt LE 6920 or 6721. Recoil should be manageable and he doesn't have to worry about working a bolt.
He really likes the heavy barrel on the 6721 for the sole fact that they don't heat up as fast. But I wonder if the weight might be more manageable for him on the 6920. He does not want anything thinner in the barrel than the 6920.

I've got a couple questions for y'all:
1) Is the weight difference that much between the two rifles?
2) How many rounds/mags can you put through the 6920 before it starts to get too hot to fire?

Thanks! And I hope everyone takes a moment to appreciate the fallen and the sacrifices of our service men and women on this Memorial Day.